• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build with 3200 MHz memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I recently built a new machine using Ryzen 7 3700x with Corsair 3200 MHz memory. I found out the memory was running default at 2133. I enabled my XMP profile in my BIOS, so the memory is running at 3200 MHz, but now I'm worried that the memory is running hotter than it should. Is it overclocking if you are running the memory at the listed speed on the box? While I'm fine with overclocking, I'd rather not have the memory burn out on a brand new system after a couple weeks just because I'm trying to run it at its listed speed. Do I need to do something so the memory doesn't stop working soon? Also, AMD systems have always worked better with higher speed memory (which is why I bought the 2x8GB 3200 kit in the first place).

There is no way that memory is overheating, even when it's overvolted (at least at reasonable values but till 1.5V is still more than fine when XMP has 1.35V). Typical memory temp at 1.35V is 40-50°C. Max for 24/7 work is about 80-85°C. I haven't seen any memory passing 60°C under full load, even in small ITX case with limited airflow so I wouldn't worry about it. If it was so fragile then manufacturers wouldn't give lifetime warranty on most popular memory series.

Back