• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build with a problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfman86

Registered
Hello! I'm new to the OC forums and would like to get some hardware help if possible. I'm not sure which section this goes in, so please forgive me if this is the wrong section to be posting this in.

I recently built a new system with these new parts:

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
AMD Phenom II BE X4 955 @ 3.2GHz
OCZ Black Edition 2x2GB (1.65 volts @ 8-8-8-24)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Using these old parts from previous build:

WD 74GB 10k RPM Raptor
WD 320GB SATA 3Gb/s
GeForce 7600 GS (3.5 years old)
CoolMax CP-500T 500W (3 years old)

Here's my problem: when I put the two sticks of ram into the dimms slots closest to the cpu, windows starts up just fine, but after awhile I get a BSOD saying nvlddmkm.sys was the cause and reboots. Since then, I have tested both sticks separately and together in Memtest86+ v4.10 in all 4 dimm slots for 15+ hours with no errors.

What's odd is when I boot into windows with just one stick closest to the cpu, I get no BSOD. To add to that, I have been running windows on both sticks in the two dimm slots furthest away from the cpu and haven't encountered a BSOD in 2 almost 3 days now, but I have gotten a screen flicker that said the display driver has been reset or something like that.

My Nvidia display drivers are up-to-date and I have also checked the video card for any blown capacitors or visible problems to find nothing. I was thinking it could possibly be bad dimm slots or my PSU has dipped below the amount of power I need to fully operate my system. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
The nvl error is for your videocard. I would unistall and resinstall your drivers. Update to the newest ones (257.21 IIRC).

Coolmax, in most cases, are big giant hunks of poo for PSU's. If that isnt your issue now, which is likely its not, it may be later on. I would get a better brand PSU down the road.

I have uninstalled 197.45 and tried updating to the latest drivers, 257.21, but it keeps saying "The system has not been modified" no matter what I do to try and get it to install. So, I used Driver Sweeper v2.1.0 and reverted back to 197.45 with no problems.

I plan on upgrading to at least a 700 watt PSU. Which brand is a good one to go with?

Before I upgrade to another PSU, I would like to possibly isolate my problem. Could someone take a look at my voltages to see if they're up to spec with my current 500 watt PSU? I understand the CPU VCore fluctuates due to AMD's cool and quiet BIOS feature.

If they are up to spec, could it possibly be faulty dimm slots? I have ruled out the memory and video card just to be sure.

it does look like your not getting enough wattage to your video card maybe a faulty PSU

Wolfman - Software voltage readings are usually quite inaccurate. The only way to know for sure is to test the 12v rail with a digital/analog multimeter.

@ Arcainse - What made you think he isnt getting enough juice from that picture considering the 12v rail is sitting at 12.48v (if its even accurate)?????????? I can see you say that if it was reading 11.x (anything 5% below 12v is out of spec)

I have uninstalled 197.45 and tried updating to the latest drivers, 257.21, but it keeps saying "The system has not been modified" no matter what I do to try and get it to install. So, I used Driver Sweeper v2.1.0 and reverted back to 197.45 with no problems.

I plan on upgrading to at least a 700 watt PSU. Which brand is a good one to go with?

Wolfman,

If you do upgrade youir power supply, pick from here:

http://overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

You don't need 700 watts for your new build, 500w is way more than enough. Corsair VX450 will work just fine.

Last edited:
+1 for Silverstone Strider! Picked up a 850W one for $135 and I can't even hear it! Powers everything including 2 5770's!

Thanks guys! I will work on getting a new PSU based on the link posted above. I'll probably go with the SeaSonic X-650 and upgrade to a newer video card like a 9800 GTX+.

Ok, I would like some confirmation. Last night I ran both memory sticks in Memtest86+ v4.10 in the blue slots for 9 hours and came up with 13 errors by morning. I then put both the sticks in the suspected good white memory slots this morning and about 15 minutes ago I blue screened in windows.

I'm going to Memtest both sticks in the white slots over night for at least 9 hours to see if they reproduce the errors, but either way, I think it's bad ram.

Ok, I would like some confirmation. Last night I ran both memory sticks in Memtest86+ v4.10 in the blue slots for 9 hours and came up with 13 errors by morning. I then put both the sticks in the suspected good white memory slots this morning and about 15 minutes ago I blue screened in windows.

I'm going to Memtest both sticks in the white slots over night for at least 9 hours to see if they reproduce the errors, but either way, I think it's bad ram.

Wolfman,

Use Memtest86 V2.11 from a boot disk/CD. Many have found the later version 4 to have "issues." You may get the same results, maybe not. I assume you are not overclocked when running your tests? You should be at stock speeds with timings and voltage set manually per factory default specs. If you get errors, even just one, RAMs are bad. Don't go into your operating system with bad RAMs.

I'm not overclocked on anything. I have set the speeds, timings and voltages as per what OCZ recommends for this memory kit and that's it. I will give Memtest86+ v2.11 a try.

Back