• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build would appreciate some feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max47

Hey guys, been a while since I have been on here. But I am thinking about building a new gaming rig. My budget is around 2000 probably wont go much higher unless there is some type of significant performance increase i missed for a few hundred extra somewhere or money spent on non significant increases that can be saved. This is essentially going to be for gaming and every day computer use so focus is on what runs games the best now and for the next 3-4 years with the ability to upgrade somewhat in mind on the current board. I am looking for non-bias opinions and facts on components to swap out or other ways to take the build, or if I am right about where I need to be on this build. Possible ups and downs to wait for newly released components. Also if anyone knows any cheaper places to get the same components, i generally do not steer far from newegg anymore. Thanks for your time!

Current Wishlist:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23728892

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
why an nvme drive?
you will only, really notice it at boot, I'd rather see a larger, sata ssd.
don't get me wrong, I love my nvme drives but day in and day out I really don't notice them over my 2.5 sata drives.

OP
Max47

Max47

why an nvme drive?
you will only, really notice it at boot, I'd rather see a larger, sata ssd.
don't get me wrong, I love my nvme drives but day in and day out I really don't notice them over my 2.5 sata drives.

I have like 7 other SSD's i will be using some of them in this build as well as a huge mech drive. Figured I would run the operating system off of this drive and it didn't seem like a bad price, plus i have never owned one.

OP
Max47

Max47

even if it's just bling, as long as you know, we're good with it.

Haha ya i suppose it might be, i really liked the idea of just having it on the motherboard.. Although i did expect a bit more of a performance increase than you guys are saying it really has.

wingman99

Your list looks like a good setup, it should be fun.:) Gigabyte motherboards work and overclock well for me.

Alaric

I spent a couple dollars (OK, $8) less than $2k on the rig in my sig. For 1080p it rocks, flat tears it up. You can use a 1080Ti and still knock at least a couple hundred watts off the PSU. For anything 2k and under you can destroy games with a 1080 and save on the Ti. You won't need my extra SSD and OS, either.

Suppressor1137

Air 540 Pals! :) <3

I'd look into EVGA for their icx personally, but in the end, they are the same card. iCX has 10 temp sensors on the board to read out the various components.

I like numbers, and more numbers is better numbers! :)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...338&cm_re=evga_1080_ti-_-14-487-338-_-Product

As for the nvme, Just keep in mind that it eats up 4 pci-e lanes. Thats less lanes to go around for potential SLI or other pci-e devices in the future.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Air 540 Pals! :) <3

I'd look into EVGA for their icx personally, but in the end, they are the same card. iCX has 10 temp sensors on the board to read out the various components.

I like numbers, and more numbers is better numbers! :)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...338&cm_re=evga_1080_ti-_-14-487-338-_-Product

As for the nvme, Just keep in mind that it eats up 4 pci-e lanes. Thats less lanes to go around for potential SLI or other pci-e devices in the future.
Those lanes come from the south bridge, not the cpu.

https://www.google.com/search?q=z27...AUICSgB&biw=640&bih=280#imgrc=tFbnDPAyaFjKMM:

mimart7

You don't need 32 GB of ram, unless unless you plan on running vm's or are rendering videos, 8 GB to 16 GB is plenty. Get an SSD and a spinner. 256 GB t0 512 GB for your OS, games, etc., the spinner can be used for storage. There are far better choices for the cpu cooler, than Corsair, Cooler Master, and NZXT come to mind.

Suppressor1137

You don't need 32 GB of ram, unless unless you plan on running vm's or are rendering videos, 8 GB to 16 GB is plenty. Get an SSD and a spinner. 256 GB t0 512 GB for your OS, games, etc., the spinner can be used for storage. There are far better choices for the cpu cooler, than Corsair, Cooler Master, and NZXT come to mind.

The note about the cpu coolers and ram is valid; but I don't know anything about AIO coolers, which is why I didn't suggest one.

The NZXT Kraken I heard is fantastic, but without a basis of knowledge, I didn't want to suggest a cooler. https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-x62

OP
Max47

Max47

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear about the hard drives, I own plenty of them. I bought it with this system because i haven't tried nvme, I included it here to get some feedback on it as well. I just don't need to purchase any more SSD's I have enough to support 3 or 4 rigs.

So I just got done talking to newegg and luckily cancelled the order in time.. Main thing is the cooler I have the old H100i in my current setup and haven't had any issues at all with it and has worked pretty good "i thought for AIO watercooling" So i figured i would try the next generation from corsair. BUT after the suggestion from you guys and a bit of research i really think the NZXT kraken X62 will be a lot better choice.

I wasn't too worried about the ram, but probably right should just go with 4x4gb. I chose that particular set for the timing and chip brand. Its sometimes hard for me to "upgrade" and get less of something lol already fighting in my mind from going 6 core to 4.

Suppressor1137

Timing in terms of cas latency for ddr4 isn't as important as it was for ddr3. The sheer speed of ddr4 modules( 3000, 3200+) Has a much bigger effect on gaming than any other setting.

That said, anything over 3200 will result in maybe 1-3 fps gain, and that is being generous.

6 cores 12 threads for gaming isn't that big of a deal; and you would only see benefit if used for VM's or rendering/streaming games with x264 encoding. The GPU is far better at encoding though.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Not for gaming use, i wouldnt. Its not much slower in gaming...but costs a lot more. For your listed uses, id sticm with 7700k.

OP
Max47

Max47

Not for gaming use, i wouldnt. Its not much slower in gaming...but costs a lot more. For your listed uses, id sticm with 7700k.

Hmmm yeah actually I think with the 7700 right now will have better performance in gaming.. But what about future upgrades to maybe the next generation or possibly the one after that on the 2011 v3 (assuming they are on the same socket)? I mean $1XX.00 dollars for future upgrades that might get a few extra years out of it seems like it may be worth it to me.

Suppressor1137

Something I've learned over the years; You can't really futureproof a pc.

The 7700k is more than enough processor for gaming, and the multi-threading is already enough future proofing(gaming only uses 4 cores at most atm, the 8 threads will be utilized better in the future, so you have that covered).

It isn't the cpu that is a major bottleneck anyways, its the gpu. This is especially true for 4k gaming, as vram quantity becomes more and more important to store those massive textures, and then a very powerful gpu to render the scenes.

Certainly, A good cpu is important for gpu utilization, but unless you are benchmarking, streaming, or rendering, a cpu is maybe around 30-70% utilization(depending on the multi threading code of the game), while the gpu is pegged at 100%.

A 2011-v3 socket cpu uses are usually for : Rendering/Streaming/VM's/Among others, but gaming it is not.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Ypu may or may not fet mkre years out of it. Depends on if games and the games you play can use more than 8 threads...