• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok guys, while windows is being installed, got a question

i'm assuming cpu vid(in dfi bios), is vcore, and there seem to be 3, a startup, control, and special control, which is which and how and what, maybe a why? lol explanation would be awesome

rest seems pretty self explanitory, i'll prolly have more when i get in there

hey, how much voltage u guys throwin at venice? i'm up to 1.825v, idles about 28c, load 39c(xp120+120mm)

this is for 311x9, any lower=no boot

it's scaled pretty well so far as to how much ram for how much mhz

anyone pump 1.9v through these on air?

i would highly advise not going over 1.65 volts for long-term usage. but you can if you like, i'm sure many people have without any mishaps. i wouldn't though, certainly not with something i just spent nearly $200 on.

So there have been a few changes. The biggest change is now I'm running the LP UT nF4 SLI-D Mobo. We have been having troubles with the other one so I wanted to replace it and it seems to be doing much better.

Biggest problem now is instability. Quake keeps crashing for some reason. It's sporadic and a real pain in the ***. Pretty sure it's a Vid Card issue but dunno fo' sho'.

Ok, I have finally gotten her stable. She's currently running 265 * 10. She's 24 hours Prime stable, 8 hours memtest stable, runs a 21736 on 3DMark 2001. With a CPU temp of 38 deg Celsius on Air. I'm still making some adjustments to the BIOS as I'm sure y'all can imagine but for now she's a hummin' little machine. I promise to get some pics up soon. First I have to fix my camera.

Sry, i forgot i never told y'all about the problems. I was crashing while running apps. Most commonly it was Quake3 that would cause the crash. It was really random too. It also crashed running adaware, as well as a few other apps. I figured out the OCed BIOS was unstable. I have her stable now at 268 x 10. I still wanna break the 2.7 mark but i don't know if she can handle it.

I was also getting a rather odd occurence on boot up for awhile. I would turn her on and she would boot just find but I couldn't see anything on the monitor. I would ususally have to do a safe boot off the mobo and leave my monitor unplugged for a lil while. That seemed to make her boot up fine but since i got her stable I haven't had that problem again.

Okay, time for a much needed update. I apologize for taking so long but I've been working hard to find stability.

For awhile I was able to find some stability but recently it has started crashing while playing Quake again.

To give everyone an idea of my bios here it is:

Genie Bios Settings
Auto
down16 up 16
x10.0
100 mhz
disable
(Auto)
1.425v
readings 1.72
Above Vid *113%
Disabled

The DRAM Settings:
enable
enable
auto
Level 8
Level 4
7.0 Nano
Auto
Disable
16x
7x
disable 8 burst

Any ideas why I might still be crashing?

The guys on DFI recommended loosening the mem settings and then pushing the CPU settings but I'm not sure how to do that. If someone could read the dfi thread and then give me some suggestions I would really really appreciate it. Thanks

Ok update time.

It seems that I may have narrowed down the problem to a memory related issue. It seems that the memory in slot #2 was bad. I removed that memory and replaced it with the other 256 from slot #4 and so far, I've only had 2 unexpected crashes. In case anyone was curious, there have been rumors that the NF4 mobo burns up memory in slot #2. Don't know if it's true or not b/c I just got back from QuakeCon and I'm about to send my memory back to get new ones. Anyways, I thought y'all might like to know.

Keep pluggin. It can take a while to figure exactly where the limit of your system is and how to tweak everything just right. Heck, I spent a couple months with my last system before I got everything just right.

Wow, it's been awhile

Ok so here's the skinny of it all. I finally got some decent memory. I'm running G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000).

I got her rock solid stable @ 255 x 10. She's humming along. I've had no problems as of late. I did mod the case to put in a window so that I could mount a 60 MM fan to cool the RAM and so far so good. This is a system that works. So there you go. Now it's time to build another one.

Ya, I just noticed in your earlier pics where cpu was being reported as 25-27 degrees and chipset was ~45 degrees. Just so you know, that's probably because the program was mixing up the chipset and cpu, so cpu was actually the one ~45 degrees. Anyway, looks like you've got it all stable now, but I personally wouldn't push past 1.55v on air for a venice, maybe 1.6v with really good air.

Back