• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Builder Needs Help - Specific Build Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You can run two monitors with the Nvidia card. I believe with 3, you need 2 cards (not with ATI as mentioned before).

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
With that system at 4Ghz and an overclocked 480. You are looking at 500W or so. A 650W would truely be fine, but Im saying 750W to allow for ample headroom.

OP
eMpTy43

eMpTy43

Registered
OP
eMpTy43

eMpTy43

Registered
With that system at 4Ghz and an overclocked 480. You are looking at 500W or so. A 650W would truely be fine, but Im saying 750W to allow for ample headroom.

Say I wanted the headroom to go SLI down the road, stick with the 750w? Any good links to tutorials/guides for OC'ing the GTX 480?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You could go 4Ghz 1.35v and come up with the numbers I already came up with... :p

For two 480's, you would want to go 950W (Corsair TX/HX) to allow ample headroom across the board. 850W would work though.

cyberfish

I would take the calculator's recommended wattage, and add 50W to it (even though the recommended wattage takes into account headroom already).

The calculator has option for SLI, too.

cyberfish

It's impossible to load your computer up 100%. Unless you are running Orthos with a GPU benchmark at the same time, while writing full speed to your harddrive, and burning a DVD at the same time, and writing to memory in a pattern that makes it switch bank on every access...

Even then you probably still won't get 100%.

I think that's why they recommend 90%. That's the "effective" 100%.

750W for SLI is a little overkill, but not in the ridiculous range :).

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Links to info... I can get that in a bit, but I can tell you I had a 4Ghz i7 860 and a GTX 470 and with Furmark running (which is an unrealistc load on a GPU for gaming) I hit 400W @ the wall (see my review on the 470 and its power consumption). I think the 480 is only 25W more stock, and the CPU is another 30W or so... you can see how the math works out...

As far as power consumption for a 480.. check out these reviews...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/13
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...x-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/19

cyberfish

You probably know this already, but 400W at the wall, assuming 90% efficiency, means your computer is only drawing 360W (this number is used for PSU ratings).

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Correct. And that was with a ~%82 efficient PSU, not the 90% one in my sig (which most are NOT as efficient as the AX (corsair) or X (seasnoic) I currently own.

OP
eMpTy43

eMpTy43

Registered
Can someone double check my build to make sure everything will work/fit together? Please and thanks.

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX Full Tower Case
MOBO: ASUS Rampage III Gene Micro ATX (1366/X58)
CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8Ghz
HEATSINK: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B with 2 CM R4-120mmX25mm fans for a push-pull airflow setup
RAM: G.Skill 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
GPU: 1 EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 480
SDD: OCZ Vertex 2 2.5" 60GB MLC SATA II
HDD: WDC Black 1TB 7200RPM SATA III
ODD: 2 Lite-On 24x CD/DVD Burners SATA
PSU: Corsair 750HX

My own checklist, please double check me.
Case/MOBO: HAF 932 supports micro-atx through e-atx
SATA 6GB - 1/2 used (HDD)
SATA 3GB - 3/6 used (SDD,ODD,ODD)
RAM: 3/6 slots used, stock clock higher than CPU
CPU: Compatible (1366 chip and board)
GPU: According to Newegg-TV video of this case, a full 12" GPU will fit in it, right? :shrug:
HEATSINK: WILL IT AND THE FANS FIT WITHOUT CONFLICTING WITH HEATSINKS ON THE MICRO ATX BOARD? :shrug:
Also, where do the additional fans plug into? The MoBo or PSU? :shrug:
Lastly, should I go with a less powerful PSU considering I'm most likely going to be going Dual-SLI in the future? :shrug:

This is my first time putting a system together from scratch so I don't want to order everything and be stuck with a couple parts that aren't compatible with each other or don't fit. Please help! :bday:

Last edited:
OP
eMpTy43

eMpTy43

Registered
Please?! Someone, I'm itching to order this system and have confidence I can put it together I just want to make sure it can be put together!

Then maybe Earthdog can throw me a link or two on some detailed instructions on how to OC the i7-930 without blowing myself up :)

OP
eMpTy43

eMpTy43

Registered
Ok just looked at the newegg photo zoomed all the way in...

On the Gene Mobo there is a:
- CPU Fan
- Cha (Assuming Chassis) Fan1
- Cha Fan2
- Power Fan

This would leave the following fans with no power:
- CPU Fan2
- Chassis Fan3
- Chassis Fan4

So can these fans be plugged into the PSU or are there "splitters" per-say for fan connections? I'd assume no since there is probably a certain voltage sent to the fan plugs on the mobo...

I also have a few questions about the fans... which fans are normally set up as intake fans? Which as exhaust? I would assume front and side as intake and rear and top as exhaust... and push the hair into the CPU cooler from the bottom and pull it out of the top. Am I thinking right there?

So how do you determine which way the fan blows? Wiring or just physically flipping it over? I'd assume the latter just want to make sure... :noob: !! lol