• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new built for games/3d animation/digital effects/videoediting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1. Cool
2. Each CPU is different. What one will need at a given clockspeed, your may need more or less. Not to mention, Tir is MUCH higher than that daily... see he signature (he has a very good chip, for the record)
3. Correct. Enable XMP to reach those speeds. It will boot at 2133.
4. Leave the GPU alone for now.

If you write a guide, make sure you spell check it. :p

oooops, sorry EarthDog, I know that my spelling goes off every now and then, expecially on some terms.

pics on the way soon....ordered the parts....by the next weekend I should have them all here.

get ready to laught!!!

damn....had to wait till the end of August to get all the parts...Italian massive August vacations....than quite some time to built...remember...it's my fist time...I have to admit that maybe I've been very slow with the cables management...but I believe that the result is decent...did ask my friend for some help for eventual drivers and bios updates insallations...now I just have to get a hold on the mobo progs to get the ram to run at 3000 and to oc the cpu to 4.2

the pics

with my 4k sony 50"

pc-set.jpg

the machine and the cables management

pc-front.jpg
pc-rear.jpg

I don't pretend to get an A....but a B- maybe is in my range

Looks great you did a good job.:) For overclocking your memory go into Bios and set memory to XMP first. Then if XMP works ok overclock your CPU to 4.2Ghz using the multiplier and Vcore if you need it in Bios.

wingman99,

I did go into bios, xmp works, I just click it and it reads my memory to 3000mhz, but.....it automaticly changes the cpu frequency from 100 to 125...I don't know why and what it has to do with the ram speed...the other thing is that I've tried different combinations of settings, cpu turbo on/off, oc genie on/off, an others, but I never find a conbination that gives me the chance to change the cpu ratio...that remains always in "auto" mode.

basicly what I would like to get is

the cpu to 4.2 without changing other parameter of the cpu but the multiplier, I'm scared of changing voltage or other parameters, that stuff it like cinese to me, but maybe there is no problem within certains parameters.

the ram to run at 3000 just for what it is.

I'll try to ask to MSI support to explane me how to do it, in Dummies Giude style, not sure if they will give me OC tips.

anyway with that "turbo" mode on fpr the cpu and the gtx 1070 set on OC mode, I've tried Metro Last Light at 4k res and the game settings to Best, and the pc purs like a kitten, looked at the temps after a couple hours of gaming and cpu and gpu didn't go over the 50/60 Celsius, looks good to me, haven't tried any heavy rendering jet, still missing some prog installation.
asap I'll do some screen shots of the MSI Bios settings...to me looks like total caos...but for the most of you probably looks like a walk in the park.

Glad XMP worked for you. I don't know what your Bios looks like to help you find the CPU multiplier.

I'll post some screen shots soon...the problem is that I see the multiplier...I assume is what they call cpu ratio...but that parameter is blocked on "auto" and I can't select it...I've tried to disable all those "Turbo" things but it remains bloked....but I've found this on the MSI site....so...maybe...I shouldn't be so scared to use the frquency of 125mhz

OC ENGINE
Run into unstable situations when pushing your CPU to the limit? This occurs because the internal clocks are linked through the 100 MHz BCLK strap. Thanks to a integrated Clock Generator, MSI motherboards support more flexible BCLK adjustments, from 100 / 125 / 167 MHz straps.

Using these straps prevents system crashing while overclocking on the edge and opens doors to achieve the absolute maximum. The MSI X99 motherboards all come with the next generation Clock Generator offering even lower jitter and power consumption resulting in even higher stability under extreme conditions.

if this is really true...but I'll be surprised if on these thimgs a factory will tell you bulls... than I should just see if using the oc genie I can reach the parameters I want.

I only have 1 doubt....it's better for the cpu lifespan to work on a dynamic parameter...and go for example from 3.3 to 4.2 as needed...or on a fixed parameter of 4.2?

I'll post some screen shots soon...the problem is that I see the multiplier...I assume is what they call cpu ratio...but that parameter is blocked on "auto" and I can't select it...I've tried to disable all those "Turbo" things but it remains bloked....but I've found this on the MSI site....so...maybe...I shouldn't be so scared to use the frquency of 125mhz
The PC will be fine with 125MHz BCLK (Base Clock).
OC ENGINE
Run into unstable situations when pushing your CPU to the limit? This occurs because the internal clocks are linked through the 100 MHz BCLK strap. Thanks to a integrated Clock Generator, MSI motherboards support more flexible BCLK adjustments, from 100 / 125 / 167 MHz straps.

Using these straps prevents system crashing while overclocking on the edge and opens doors to achieve the absolute maximum. The MSI X99 motherboards all come with the next generation Clock Generator offering even lower jitter and power consumption resulting in even higher stability under extreme conditions.

if this is really true...but I'll be surprised if on these thimgs a factory will tell you bulls... than I should just see if using the oc genie I can reach the parameters I want.
That is really just advertising, when you overclock the core it dose not mater if you do it with the multiplier or BCLK to reach the same overclock. However for competition overclocking having fine adjustment with BCLK helps to win over the competition.
I only have 1 doubt....it's better for the cpu lifespan to work on a dynamic parameter...and go for example from 3.3 to 4.2 as needed...or on a fixed parameter of 4.2?
Dynamic with reasonable voltage the CPU should last for 20+ years unless the PC is running 24/7 full load then it would be Fixed. Fixed with reasonable voltage it should last 10+ years.

well...maybe not like Tir...he goes 24/7...but if I have to render a 5 min animation at 1 min a frame that makes 150 hours of rendering...ooops!
I will have to do it by 8/10 hours a night...and it won't happend every week...but with the video projects....I'll probably have a couple a mounths...so...to play it safe...I should say an average of 8 hours a day of full load between all the different usages.
that's why a have the doubt between Fixed or Dynamic.

You can run it Fixed or Dynamic it won't really make much difference it will last until you need a upgrade.

Back