• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cards on old machines

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electromagnetic

Does anyone know how these cards are performing on older machines, say like the ones in my sig? I'm not thinking of getting one, just curious how they scale against the CPU speed.

[email protected]

It's generally not a good idea to put a beast card like a 6800 Ultra in slow computer. As said above, the processor wouldn't be able to transfer the information fast enough to get the full potential of the card.

Your athlon rig shouldn't be bad, but the p3's... it's pretty much pointless. It's like getting a very fast horse and tieing its legs down.

Drec

well why dont you put your 9800pro in one of those pIII machines and run 3DMark..see what happens :)

RJARRRPCGP

Drec said:
well why dont you put your 9800pro in one of those pIII machines and run 3DMark..see what happens :)

To be honest, you probably will get a major performance boost with the Dragothic tests and the Lobby tests. With the Car Chase High Detail test, you probably will hardly notice anything different, because the Car Chase High Detail test in particular seems to be the most processor dependent.

OP
electromagnetic

electromagnetic

Well I already have tried my 9800 pro in one of my p3's, didn't bench it, just tried a few games. Slight improvement over the GF3. I guess what I was really asking was if anyone had run some benchmarks with different CPU's on the newer 6800/x800 cards? I remember about a year ago Toms Hardware did this to show what say a 9700 would be like on an Athlon 600, or similar. And they tried the same cards on different machines.