• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Case = up to 20 degree drop in temps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duke Blackfist

So it's pretty obvious that the key to good cooling in an air-cooled rig is good airflow (and a case that provides it). However, I never would have suspected that a new case would yield such a difference. Upon the advice given to me in this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253594

I decided on the Aopen H700b. And I'm glad I did :)
When I first switched on my rig after moving it into this case, it was running almost 20c under its normal load temps. My old case was some crappy no-brand case that cost £30 (did come with a no-brand psu, though ;) ).

The temp has since risen (I think the central heating came on), so my cpu load temp now maxes out at around 44c, which I consider a success when it was 55+c before (with the side panels off my old case).

I'm not sure how useful this is to anyone. I guess my point is get an Aopen h700b :)

I think it was Ritalin that was getting excited about the Fortron PSU, but it was one of the (less important requirements) for my case. I don't actually need it yet (planning to add more power-hungry stuff in the near future), but it's good to have a decent PSU to hand. I just took it straight out and whacked in my 430w Antec.

I have tested it outside the case (no load) and it's virtually silent, I think due to the fact that it just has one (thermally controlled?) 120mm fan.

Yep that was me :)
I think im gonna get the aopen... looks so... spacious :D
Does it like ... keep sound down?
YOu know what i mean....
Ritalin

well, like I said, the PSU seems quiet. The case does seem to contain noise quite well. It has 2 more fans in it than my last case, and I think it's quieter than the old one was, but then I was running the old case with the side panels off.

It definately has enough room for all my stuff, and I do like the drive rack at the top rear (I'm using it at the time being cos I haven't put the 2nd psu there yet). By mounting my drives up there, the bottom half of the case is pretty much clear of anything that generates heat or restricts air flow to the motherboard, vga and cpu.

go on... get the case, you know you want it :D

Back