• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cheap i7 Rig!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surferseth

[email protected] in the City of Lost Angels
Saw a Fry's sale ad over the weekend and had to jump on it, no matter how financially irresponsible the wife told me it was. :rolleyes:

Core i7 860 + Biostar TP55 = $259 - $20 MIR = $239 (yeah its a crap board, but for the price who cares!)

Also picked up 4GB (2x2GB) of Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz ram on sale for $99.

I couldnt get a PSU or better than stock HSF with out risking my marriage :shrug: , but I plan on making that happen one way or another. Might need to move some things around (dont think a 350w PSU will cut it), or try to sell some parts.

Got all the other parts (case, HDD, Grfx card) so I hope to have the new bigadv folder up by the coming weekend. I will be out of town, in SF, until Friday, otherwise I would be working harder to get that sucker folding! :salute:

Hopefully this will make up for the MacPro I had to deploy last week :comp:

720x770

lol sounds like shes going to hate you more, not only for spending money on it but for also playing with it once you get it :)

why didn't you go triple channel instead? I personally wouldn't go dual channel if I had any i7.

Despite what a lot of people say, you CAN go cheap on the PSU as long as it has good reviews and every feature you need. I've seen people running expensive 850w PSU's on systems that only need 300w-500w maximum. I know, not all PSU's put out their max wattage continuously, but rather have a peak but if your watt usage is below that peak and you have enough AMPS then you should be fine. you could probably get away with paying less for a PSU and half decent CPU cooler for less or just as much as you paid for the RAM.

what type of video card(s) you have will determine exactly what type of PSU to get, but the system on it's own should be fine with a 350w PSU.

If the machine is just for folding, 4GB is overkill especially considering it will be mostly using your video cards RAM.

Jolly-Swagman

lol sounds like shes going to hate you more, not only for spending money on it but for also playing with it once you get it :)

why didn't you go triple channel instead? I personally wouldn't go dual channel if I had any i7.

Despite what a lot of people say, you CAN go cheap on the PSU as long as it has good reviews and every feature you need. I've seen people running expensive 850w PSU's on systems that only need 300w-500w maximum. I know, not all PSU's put out their max wattage continuously, but rather have a peak but if your watt usage is below that peak and you have enough AMPS then you should be fine. you could probably get away with paying less for a PSU and half decent CPU cooler for less or just as much as you paid for the RAM.

what type of video card(s) you have will determine exactly what type of PSU to get, but the system on it's own should be fine with a 350w PSU.

If the machine is just for folding, 4GB is overkill especially considering it will be mostly using your video cards RAM.

Motherboard supports Dual Chanel DDR3 (4 slots not 6)

More Ram is needed for Folding -bigadv WU,s also if using Virtual Machines More Ram the Better

OP
Surferseth

Surferseth

F[email protected] in the City of Lost Angels
Ended up with a corsair H50 (also on sale at frys! for <$50) and ordered a 600w PSU from the egg today! Also scored a 9800GT from a friend of mine!

Once the PSU arrives I am gonna fire this baby up and start the fold! :salute: Maybe I will include some pics too, just cause I love to show off my *other* babies. ;)