• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new chip for my asus a7v133

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dhodson

Registered
i left this post over on the amd chip forum but someone suggested i leave it here

i have an asus a7v133 rev104 and will be updating my bios to 109expert soon.
i have a 1ghz thunderbird that i oc to 1.15 by increasing the fsb to 115 and running the memory asynch at 153 or so cas 2-2-2 (the memory will do better than 160 cas 3-2-2 for certain if not more).
im ready to move up to something faster and wanted to switch out my cpu for either a 1600xp agoia (newegg gurantees this stepping) or 1700 thoroughbred.
i realize this is a gamble whether or not the cpu will work at all on my mb but was wondering which one people felt would be more likely to work or give me better performance.
i am considering unlocking this processor as long as the process isnt too difficult.
My other question is should i buy the retail for the heat sink and fan or should i buy them seperately and if so which ones. I want something that will work well but that will not be too loud. Im interested in results but not in having the fastest overclock on this site.
any assistance would be greatly appreciated

D

Tru2ya

Personally, I would go with the 1700+ tbred from newegg because everyone that recently bought the 1700+ seems to be successful. Hitting 2ghz or more on air. See not all the 1600+ agoia's are good overclockers. So you would be taking a gamble because theres no guarantees on the type of agoia steppings at this time.

Last edited:
OP
D

dhodson

Registered
thanks how about whether or not to buy the retail hs/fan or to buy them seperately
am i likely to want to unlock this thing to get the most out of it or am i likely to be just as limited in overall mhz increase by increasing the fsb to 160 or so with my current memory and thus no need to unlock.

D

Tru2ya

I probably wouldnt try the stock hs+fan that comes with it if i were overclocking. Many people recommend getting the ax7 heatsink with any 80mm fan(cheapest for best air cooling). I personally think you'll do fine with a volcano 9 or volcano 7+(which i have, save a few bucks) and with some arctic silver 3. I currently have my 1600+ @ 1.7ghz 1.85v locked and fan control on low(temps 42c idle, 47c load). Just make sure your temps don't go above 60c and youll be fine. I forgot to mention that I'll be receiving my 1700+ tbred on wednesday, so i'll let you know how it works out. Theres mixed opinions on whether the tbred runs cooler or not. So i'll put an end to this madness and see if it runs cooler then my 1600+. :D

Tru2ya

Another thing, what type of ram will you be using and do you know if the a7v133 comes with the 1/5 divider?

OP
D

dhodson

Registered
i have infineon memory from memoryman that was guaranteed to do like 160 or so and i have done 160 before with it at cas3-2-2(it was sort of the best or near best at the time according a review), it might do more although if it doesnt and i really want to push it higher then i might scrap the motherboard and get a mb with some newer memory although at the moment i was thinking that spending 100 bucks and doubling my speed would be a great thing

D

Tru2ya

I say maybe at the most you'll hit 160fsb, but I checked and i think your mboard only has the 1/4 divider, so depending on how tolerant of higher speeds your pci cards are will determine how far past 133fsb you can go. So if its 1/4 divider, do 133fsb/4 = 33.3mhz(default pci speed). So 160fsb/4 = 40mhz.

trulyred

Yeah ,I have a7v kt133 rev 1.02 mobo and it's up dated bios 1011 which allows 48 bit hard drives. I just bought 1800 xp chip and it ran fine with it no problemo.I just put a new 80 gig hd.133 in as well ,with no problems. this mobo is awsome! the best I have ever had.
Go with the volcano 7+ heatsink and fan. It dropped my chip temp down from51 to 45c. very nice.......tr

Arctic

well I know for sure that the XP chips will run on the A7V133 boards... you just have to update the bios... I would also suggest the Volcano 7.... it should keep your temp between 40 and 45 load...with some nice lapping job and AS3 ofcourse:D
but ofcourse your comp wont run at its full potential cuz of the PC133....

FizzWizz

How did the upgrade go?

Hi guys,

I have an Asus A7v133 (revision 1.04) myself, and I was wanting to upgrade myself. I have a 1gig T-bird in it right now.

How did putting in the XP1700 go? I'm a little leary of putting a XP chip in my board since I just have the 1.04 version. What version of the BIOS do you have to upgrade to ?

Would it be possible to put a 1.3 or 1.4 gig chip in this board?

Any info appreciated.

Fizz...

trulyred

Oh yes, the a7v133 has one heck of an upgrade curve.load the latest bios(1011) from asus.de or asustw. use the flash utility .thats the easiest. I put my xp1800 chip in it and it ran fine,24/7.I have since put back my t-bird 1.2,cause I used the 1800 for my new pc:D but there was no bad anything with the bios on that board with that chip. and it is true ,you are limited by the pc133 ,but it is still a great board!.................tr

Elch1979

that thread is wonderful, but tell me, how can i use a xp1800 without a 13.5 multiplicator is this changed by updating to latest revision or what?

what do you thing is best to push perfomance of my system?

tb 1200c cooled with zalman 5000+ running @ 50°
a7v133
512mb infineon pc133
gf2 gts pro 64mb 6ns with 200/400 active cooled
cs-601 miditower with 2 fans in front and 2 fans at back

3dmark 2001 gets 4007 marks at win xp pro

thanks for helping
e

Lance Thornton

A7V-133 and XP chips

I had an A7V-133 with raid board revision 1.04. Originally I had a 900 Athlon in it then I upgraded to an xp1700+. Please flash to at least bios 1008 and all should be well. Personally I would go with the latest and leave it after that. The only problem that I had was when the 1700+ was cold booting, I would have to press the reset button to allow it to boot properly, otherwise it would hang. Wy wife currently has the same board except revision 1.05 and it does the same odd thing on cold boots. I also found that I had to use really good memory and I ordered some Mushkin CAS 222 and all was well. Good luck everyone.

OP
D

dhodson

Registered
well i flashed to 1009 expert and unfortunately i can no longer enter windows
the flash seemed to work fine but when i rebooted, i at first couldnt get anything.
after a while i was able to get to the bios and i set the parameters such that the system is not overclocked.
when i then rebooted, i got the blue screen of death with the message if this is your first time u have seen this screen.......
i booted to the floppy and when i type d: and then dir got no files found.
am i totally screwed or what?

D

mordy

axp @ a7v133

I got today the AXP 1700+ ,i think agoia, and i have a7v133 1.04. . I put all the jumpers and switches to manual(to real settings), exept JEN jumper wich is in "jumperless" mode. Looks like it works without any problems, i didn't tryed to oc yet, but i soon will.
No evidence of cold boot problem at all. Before i put the multiplier to 11 it didn't boot, not even beeps.
Theoreticly locked CPU should work at any multiplier it locked to...

I also put the same CPU on Chaintec 7aia0 - kt133 (no "A") , with not the latest bios, it works fine, recognise it as Athlon 1100, and goes up to 120MHZ fsb (maximum in bios) - 1320MHZ.

dhodson - Try to reset all bios settings again (with the missing jumper), than check memory settings...

Lance Thornton

I hope that others don't have the same odd cold booting problem. Maybe it's just my house or the deodorant that I use and the motherboards didn't like them either. Keep us posted, the A7V-133 is a fine board, and if memory bandwith isn't a problem, the board should be compeditive for another few years if not longer. :D

Lance Thornton

Sorry DHodson, I forgot to ask you about the method of flashing your bios. Personally I use a win98 boot disk, followed by the appropriate Award bios flashing program with the bios revision that I wnat to upgrade to on the same diskette. I usually save the previous bios revision on the same floppy just in case. So far I've been lucky. Let us know, and I'm sure we all hope that you aren't screwed. If you are completely out of luck, you may want to try a hot flash if you have another bios chip.

OP
D

dhodson

Registered
fortunately i flashed back to 1006 and all seems to be normal although i havent tried to oc yet
at least i didnt lose anything
i think after xmas ill do a clean sweep and retry since i was able to get into 98 and i think the prb was win2k
maybe if i installed it fresh after the bios switch id be better off
the funny thing about 1009 expert is that u cant run your mem asynch
i typically run my memory at 153 and the fsb at 115 to give my thunderbird a 15% increase
a fresh start probably is in order any way and why do i need 98 now a days

D

OP
D

dhodson

Registered
with the latest bios what is the highest multiplier the a7v133 can use?