• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New comp for Friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raven

Hey everyone!! Its been a busy couple of months, and so i havent been able to fully stay in tune with all the new hardware the is comming out. But my friend has asked me to put together a computer for him, and i would like to know what you guys think of this? MY friend is on a budget, so the given total (in Canadian Dollars) is approximately what he is willing to spend. So, if u guys could give me ur advice on things that are out now (we are buying and building this next week) and things i should change to this set up, that would be great!

Lets keep in mind that we are not looking to overclock much, and this computer is meant to last for a good 4 years.

Pentium 4 3.0C GHz 512KB HT 289.00
2 x KingMax 256MB PC-3200 DDR400 SDRAM 126.00
AI7 i865PE uGuru 800/533FSB HT Dual DDR400 155.00
WD 80Gb, 7200rpm, 8Mb Cache 86.00
Samsung 52x32x52 32.99
CAS-K228D Mid Tower w/ 400W PSU 35.00
PowerColor Radeon™ 9600PRO EZ 128MB 177.00
17" Samsung SyncMaster™ DynaFlat™ 753DF 159.00
Logitec Cordless Freedom Optical 58.00

TOTAL $1,117.99 + tax

Also.. I was thinking of getting an x600 vid card, but i cannot seem to find those at any local stores yet.. and also.. what is an ATI 9550 anyways? (is that the next 9200?)

Also.. i am a bit worried about the PSU because it coems with the case and in total both cost only $35... so im worried that it might crap out soon..

So any help or advice would be appriciated!

Raven

stang8118

Yeah i would definatly increase the video card to a 9800pro if it has to last 4 years. Bigger HD would be nice too.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I would suggest a DVD drive as well, or replace the CDRW with a CDRW/DVD combo. Things like RAM and Hard disk space can be easily added later, I would concentrate on getting core things like CPU/mobo/Vcard/PSU up to scratch. Its easy to pop in another 512mb ram a few years down the line, and add another hard disk.

nealric

I would switch to Athlon 64- not because of any amd bias, but If its going to be a long term rig, he will apreciate 64 bit support as it becomes available. It would be about the same cost too. Actually, a 3200+ with mobo will probably be a bit cheaper.

Also, I would be more than wary of a $35 case and psu combo. That thing will be a POS and probably dangerous to the rig.

I have had good luck with the raidmax 420w combos ($50 at directron.com). The case actually feels pretty solid and the psu, while limiting overclocks a bit, allowed a decent oc while maintaing good voltages.

If he dosent mind big, check out monitors on ebay. He could get a 21inch that does ludicrous resolution for that price.

Last edited:

Stupid Boy

nealric said:
I would switch to Athlon 64- not because of any amd bias, but If its going to be a long term rig, he will apreciate 64 bit support as it becomes available. It would be about the same cost too. Actually, a 3200+ with mobo will probably be a bit cheaper.

Also, I would be more than wary of a $35 case and psu combo. That thing will be a POS and probably dangerous to the rig...
If he dosent mind big, check out monitors on ebay. He could get a 21inch that does ludicrous resolution for that price.

Ditto

Athlan64's are really fast because of the memory controller.

Regardless of the CPU, get 2x512MB of PC3200. That'll only cost about $160.

But I highly doubt any computer can last four years and still be good for gaming.

OP
raven

raven

Ok. Thanks everyone for you replies!
My friend has bought all the parts for his comp and we will eb putting it together today. And he did decide to get a better case and PSU, but the price difference between the 9600pro and the 9800pro was just to great, so he decided to stick with the 9600pro. If anything, i am sure it will last him a few years, as the 8500 has lasted me for a good while now.

Im not sure about what CPU he decided to get, because he hasnt told me, but lets hope for the best!

raven