• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer build...how to fdisk n format?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeff_harrison_344

I jus put together a new computer...>XP1800...WD 40 giger...anyways....any disk I put in and boot with...it just says ATAPI CD-ROM BOOT:
DISK BOOT ERROR, REPLACE THE DISK WITH A SYTEM DISK THEN PRESS ENTER

this is with the XP boot disk and the ME one.....all I need is to run fdisk then format but i dont know how now??? Anyone??

Kendan

Senior Punk
Get the WD disk utility from there site then put it on a floppy and start it that way you will be able to set it up just fine. Boot disk.com is good too.

specific

Kendan said:
Get the WD disk utility from there site then put it on a floppy and start it that way you will be able to set it up just fine. Boot disk.com is good too.

That thing is beautiful. The WD utility disk is amazing. I don't know why it works when nothing else will, but it's simply wonderful.

OP
J

jeff_harrison_344

Well the bootdisk one didnt workl....same thing:(

I went to WDs site...but dont knoiw wut to download....could someone point me to what I need to dload??

thanks again

OP
J

jeff_harrison_344

Nah I already checked that and its set to boot on floppy first...then CDROM....thats why i am so confused

Im guna try the WD thing

OP
J

jeff_harrison_344

Alright well this got even more weird.....I found out that I connected the floppy to the MOBO but not to the power....so i figured ok itll work now....the green light is on the floppy and all....and i turn it on.....baM same thing?! Has anyone ever had this before

repo man11

If the light on the floppy is allways on, then the cable is 180 degrees off. The light should come on briefly, and go out.

OP
J

jeff_harrison_344

Well now its reading the drive...thanks a lot guys

but now ....Disk I/O Error....Replace the disk and press any key

repo man11

Hmmm, not having much luck tonight are you?
I'd guess bad floppy, bad format, or possibly a bad drive.
Which one are you trying to use?
The Dr. DOS file is an executable, you have to run it by double clicking, and it will load to a floppy. Just in case you didn't know, I don't mean to insult your intelligence.

OP
J

jeff_harrison_344

Ok...Finally got it working...just needed a little bit of floppy disk tweaking

Thank you so much guys whenever i have a problem I can always count on you