• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer locking up. Gigabyte KT400 series.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drexel

I just got a new computer, but when I first ran the new 3dmark, it locked up on the first plane battle. I rebooted, and ran it again, and it went through it that time. I then installed UT2K3, and its doing it again. It doesnt lock up the whole computer, but it froze in UT2K3 for about 5 seconds then came back, and was fine for a while till I decided to log off.

So, my question is, what is causing this problem most likely? I was thinking memory, but maybe video card drivers too? Maybe it isnt backward compatible with 4x agp? Maybe the harddrive? It is pretty slow. Im told.

Any hints, tips you can give me would be good.

I am using a Gigabyte KT400 series. It is 8Xagp, but most likely backward compatible with 4x right? I have a G4TI4200, and an xp2200 cpu. The memory is middle of the road brand, 512 of it.

CPU was running at 39C. It read this after it locked up. I went, and checked it no more then 2 minutes after.

Also

N

nerdlogic

Okay...everything should be fine. Yes, it's backward compatible with 4x. Try burning in your CPU and see if that helps. Toast and Prime95 are good programs. I'll look for the page with benchmark/burn-in/system info programs and post it ASAP.

EDIT:
Found it:
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/b_e.html

RIPUS

Registered
also you can try memtest to test tyour memory. Bad mem stick gives you some weird result some time. I use to buy cheap mem stick and use to have a lot of problem. Since i buy good mem, almost everything get back on the road just has it should be

OP
D

drexel

Hmm, thanks for the link nerdlogic, Ill read up on that tomorrow. Too late now.

I will do memtest, but I dont have a floppy right now.

Been playing all day, the game it locked up on, and others with no problem. Maybe it just needs to be used a bit.

OP
D

drexel

I changed bios option to 4x, it was on 8x. I assumed my uncle who installed it would change it, but I guess not. Could this be the problem? What problems can having it on 8x with a 4x card have.

N

nerdlogic

I thought the Ti4200 ran on 8X? Actually, If the BIOS lists it as 8X, then the Video card does 8X. The BIOS on the board will autodetect the video card AGP type.

EDIT:
NM, I see it runs at 4X. I don't know why you can select it as 8X. My BIOS has my card set to 4X and greyed out as well, so I can't change it.

BTW, Try running it on 4X and see if you still get crashes and stuff like that. I'm not sure if it does any damage to run it at higher specs than it was made for.

Last edited:
OP
D

drexel

K still getting locked up. Not as often though. The first time running the sytem it did it twice in the first hour. Hadnt done it again till just now. I clicked on a button, and it locked up for about 5 seconds again. This time some weird sound went on in my computer until it came back, and worked for another hour, then I stopped playing.

It wasnt some fan sound, or like my cpu lighting on fire. I am almost sure it was the harddrive.

Now, maybe the problem is my harddrive is old, or it cant keep up with my new system? Any help, is good.

Thanks