• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greenman100

Disabled
I'm looking at building a new computer...I built my current computer, a AMD K6/400 w/ 128MB ram, 12GB HD, ATI All-In-Wonder Pro (PCI, 8MB I think) 24xCDROM, 15" monitor

Currently running Win98.

So, as you can see, I'm ready for a new computer. I'll be using it at college, so I'll need ethernet and basic networking capibilities.

What I'm thinking:

Let me know on the prices, as well, they do not include shipping.

Monitor:
MAG 19" monitor, in addition to the 15" $180

Processor: Thoroughbred-B Athlon XP 2400+ (2.0GHz, 384 KB, 266MHz, Socket A) -$96 -eBuyer

Motherboard:
Soyo SY-KT333 Dragon Ultra AMD Athlon XP/Duron, Socket 462, ATX, 3GB DDR-SDRAM, 266MHz FSB -$79 -newegg

Memory:
512MB or 1GB PC2700 DDR RAM- $50/$100

Hard Drive(s):
120GB Maxtor- $80 I want RAID, give me suggestions and or prices for a different HD setup.

Video Card:
Probably GeForce4 w/ 64 or 128 MB - $50/$80
I need opinions here, too.

CD Burner:
16x48x24x48x DVD/CDR/CDRW/CDROM-$67

What really matters:

I need thoughts on my IDE/RAID setup. I will have 5/6 IDE drives: LS-120 FD, 24xCDROM, DVD/CDRW, 12 GB HD, and the 120GB/(2)60GB HDs.

I need thoughts on the graphics card, too, and the overall system. Let me know, please!

Also, what am I looking at as far as overclockability/comaprasion to Intel?

Thanks!

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
I would not get the Soyo board, had many problems with the KT333 and KT400's mnyself.

I would also suggest you get namebrand RAM instead of generic, if thats what that is.

And for graphics. I prefer Radeon over GF, got a 7500(64MB) and 8500(128MB - I think) myself and like them boith, had almost no problems wth them either. And the 7500 was a cheap 40 bucks when I got it. havent had any game it cant play at decent settings.

RAID is not recommended unless its 1 or 5. or you can do RAID 0 IF you have backups running. cause you lose one drive and your screwed :)

As for drives themselves. I like the stuff that comes with Maxtor drives (util's and hardware) but its only got a 1 year warranty, the Western digitals have 3 year still.

Dont know a lot about comparisons but I would say you'd have pretty decent overclocks with an athlon. (as long as you dont use the Soyo anyways)

sandman001

Just Freeze It
I would go with an Epox 8RDA+ for the motherboard, and then if you want you could overclock a bit better.

N

nerdlogic

The 2100 TBred B AIUHB cores have the best overclockability I've seen (along with some 1700s). I have a 2100 and I'm currently running at 2275MHz (2800+ rating). Radeon 9500 is a great buy from newegg. If you're adamant about sticking with nVidia, you're going to want the GeForce4 Ti4200. The MX series does not perform very well (for $50/$80, I'm pretty sure it's the MX series).

A note about the RAM, depending on what you're using your system for, 512MB RAM is more than enough memory. What are you planning to use this computer for? What programs/games are you going to be running on it? Also, you want to get a name brand module (preferably Corsair, higher-end Kingston, Crucial) and get PC3200 as it will guarantee a better overclock if you have a good CPU (overclock can be limited by RAM).

For the motherboard, you should go with an nForce 2 chipset. Epox 8RDA+, Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Abit NF-7S are all good motherboards to consider for overclocking.

OP
greenman100

greenman100

Disabled
first, thanks for the fast replies.

I've built my own computer before, but that was several years ago, and I'm a bit out of it as far as brand names go.

The RAM would be Corsair at that price.

I picked the motherboard because it had sweet features for the price, and had like 4 out of 5 stars by PC World. I'll look into other companies.

Also, on the Radeon, I was reading out on it's frame rates, and it had higher frame rates in some games, but others dropped below 15. The GeForce kept all games tested above 22.

The only thing that might test my memory is video editing. I will be editing some full screen video, and want to be capable of doing it.

Do you think I could take the XP 2400 to 2.4 Ghz safely, with stock cooling fan, and a 4 fan case? (top, bottom, 2 power supply)

OP
greenman100

greenman100

Disabled
EP-8RDA+ $90, won't work unless I get an IDE/RAID card, b/c I have 5 or 6 drives.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe $125. Sweet board, I like it, but it's $50 more, so something has to go, probably that extra 512 MB of ram, leaving me with 512.

Abit NF-7S
- 2 x Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 Connectors
- 2 x Serial ATA 150 Connectors

Will the Serial 150s work with regular IDE drives? If, not, see ya to that mobo.

N

nerdlogic

greenman100 said:
first, thanks for the fast replies.

I've built my own computer before, but that was several years ago, and I'm a bit out of it as far as brand names go.

The RAM would be Corsair at that price.

I picked the motherboard because it had sweet features for the price, and had like 4 out of 5 stars by PC World. I'll look into other companies.

Also, on the Radeon, I was reading out on it's frame rates, and it had higher frame rates in some games, but others dropped below 15. The GeForce kept all games tested above 22.

The only thing that might test my memory is video editing. I will be editing some full screen video, and want to be capable of doing it.

Do you think I could take the XP 2400 to 2.4 Ghz safely, with stock cooling fan, and a 4 fan case? (top, bottom, 2 power supply)

You'd definitely want 1GB, then. For the Radeon, its performance depends on the card manufacturer. Sapphire is the best manufacturer for ATi cards and provide the best performance. The 9700Pro is very good, but quite expensive. The GeForce that kept above 22FPS is definitely a Ti series. The MX series is crap. I would say to get a 128MB GeForce4 Ti4600 if you're going that route.

N

nerdlogic

Oh, I see I'm a bit late in posting...I have to say that depending on the stepping, you might be able to get to 2.4GHz. As far as motherboard is concerned, you can check out the Giga-Byte GA-7VAXP Ultra. It has RAID and supports CPU multis up to 18x. Try not to get Revision 2, though. They take off the 166 option, leaving you with only up to 165 to OC...However, if you take a jumper on the pins where the dip switch used to be, then you can enable 166. however, Giga-Byte has the VIA KT-400 Chipset, and the nForce 2 is the best chipset out there ATM.

N

nerdlogic

That sounds good to me. :) I also see that you're going with the 9000Pro. I hope that suits you well. Make sure you get one manufactured by Sapphire. They make the best ATi cards.

N

nerdlogic

Meaning I hope it works well for you. ATi cards perform very well, IMO, and I don't see you having any problems with it. :)

sandman001

Just Freeze It
except that the 8500 128mb performs better or equal to a 9000. I would just go with the 8500....