• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vulcan

Looking to build a new computer, here is what I have in mind hardware wise:

Motherboard: Abit AN7
Procesor: Barton 2500
Ram: Not decided (dual chanel)
Hard Drive: 120gb maxtor w/ 8meg cache (recylced from curent computer)
Video: AIW Radeon 9700 Pro (recylced from curent computer)
Cooling: Not Decided (somthing somewhat quiet)

Basicly im looking to oc the procesor to a 3000+ atleast... I was going to go with a 2800+ but ive read that the 2500+ actualy overclocks better. Also, ive heard that some of the new 2500's have has locked multiplyers, however I also read that the bartons are never locked and it just depends on the motherboard; what are the facts on this? Any opinions on the motherboard? That is simply what I came up with doing my own research, i'm open to any sugestions... I like the Abit KV7 but was put off by the lack of dual chanel. An asus board would be great if someone reccomended one that oc'd well. Ram-wise im open to sugestions also. Cooling is the big question I guess.. I need somthing quiet, this computer will be in my bedroom. Having a cpu cooler that would work well with the mobo's temp based fan control... Ive never built a system that is geared towards overclocking, so you guys know alot more than I do!

-Matt

DOHCrazy

vinny77 said:
AMD sucks!!!

Dont give answers like that, and yes, i know that was in your sig. If you must be such an Intel fanboy, atleast explain to him WHY he should pick those over AMD, also explain to him the price difference.

If you want an asus board, the A7N8X deluxe is the best one out
for AMD.

You can probly get to 3200+ with the stock cooler, but a new one would be in order. The best heatink for AMD rigth now is a ThermalAlright SP-97.

A good adjustable fan will work great and be quiet on that.

ALL Bartons after week 40 are locked, so unless you can fins one, or get lucky while hand picking, yours will be locked. By upping the FSB to 200 from 166 you would instantly have a 3200+.

I have corsair that is in my sig, and i love it, but people will have mixed opinions on RAM.

Good luck man and tell us how it comes out.

OP
Vulcan

Vulcan

how would I go about finding a week 40 or older barton?

Cornel

Vulcan said:
how would I go about finding a week 40 or older barton?

Maybe a even better idea (than paying the extra price for the guarantee unlocked ones) is to check some of your local retailers. Maybe yo get lucky and they will let you check the stepping on the CPU. All you have to do then is to compare it with the list you can find here

OP
Vulcan

Vulcan

heh... no such thing as a local electronics store here... The nearest compusa is like 3 hours away. I guess I will just have to pay more for one that is unlocked :/

OP
Vulcan

Vulcan

the prices for a unlocked 2500 are pretty high, what if I just bought a 2800?

Cornel

Depends how high you wanna push it.
You have to keep in mind that almost every 2500 Barton (locked or not)can do 2.2 Ghz with 11x200.
If you wanna go a little higher, maybe you wanna try the 2600 (which has 11.5 multipier)
2800 it's not a very good idea. I read about them not being very good overclockers. I'm sorry, I don't seem to find the link of that thread, but it was on this forum:p

OP
Vulcan

Vulcan

I would really like to hit atleast 2.1 ghz w/ 400mhz fsb... 2.2ghz would be nice, but not somthing I would truely need. What do you think would work best with that requirment in mind?

mR. STuPiD

Well being some one who has most of the stuff you want (sheesh, even have) I'll tell you what I know. About the locked bartons yeah, locked multis sucks ***, but if truth be told, they actually do FSB overclocks better. I have a locked week 41 2500+ and I can get it to 3200+ speeds on the stock heatsink. I don't even have to raise the vcore. You can get it higher than that though. I too would recomment a A7N8X Deluxe, for it is what I have. Just make sure you get the 2.0 revision. My 1.4 has known stability problems at 400FSB and higher. Luckily, you should get a 2.0 pretty much anywhere now days, I purchised my 1.4 back in March. Just make sure you got some good ram if you want to push it over 400FSB. You will need PC3200 ram at least, and I'd recommend getting better that that. Corsair is generally known for excellent ram. As for cooling, an SP-97 is the best you can get while still using air, but it is expensive. Frankly I'd recommend a SLK-900U if you want to stick to air. If you'd be willing to spend the money for a SP-97 I'd say go straight to water cooling. The SLK-900U is also a thermalright heatsink and was the best air cooling solution before they released the sp97.

Cornel

I have an unlocked Barton in the following setup:

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B
2x256 Corsair XMS PC3200 C2
2xWD800JB Raid0 (using converters to SATA) + 120G Maxtor DMax + 9
Radeon 9500NP
Antec True 430
Aspire XAlien Case

I am currently running at 200X11. My temperatures are 39c idle and 47C load with this cooler (not the greatest in the world, not even close:D). The case temperature is at 35 always, the HDD temp is 32.
Almost forgot: the voltage is 1.7V (Barton's default is 1.65).
As you can see it's possible with very little effort, but unfortunately nobody can guarantee you some overclocking results.

OP
Vulcan

Vulcan

can anyone reccomend a semi-nice case? The X-Dreamer II looks nice... what do you think?

mR. STuPiD

That case looks OK for the money. Cases are a matter of personal preference of cource. It is just important to get one with nice air flow and a good power supply. Note that few power supplies that come with cases are good, except for some brands of cases like antec or thermaltake, if you get that case with a PSU pre-installed you probably will want to replace it. PSU's are often overlooked when people buy their parts. But when you consider that this part alone has the potential to ruin all the others you'll give it a second thought. ALWAYS get a brand name PSU. Also, the voltage stability of a PSU can affect your overclock so theres another reason to only buy a quality one.

OP
Vulcan

Vulcan

okay... so here is what ive been able to come up with on newegg... check it out and tell me what you think...
Matt's List v03

BTW: didnt decide on a case or PS yet... depends if I just want to get a nice antec case with an okay (but lower wattage than preffered) antec PS, or a cheap case and a really nice antec PS...

OP
Vulcan

Vulcan

its not a controller, just a converter... But I might be better off just getting some rounded cables instead...