• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new cpu/ram/mobo CPU stuck at 100% high disk % too

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

Task manager shows 100%CPU usage and high disk usage.

My power draw for 2 monitors and computer is only 189watts so it is really not at 100%. Still it is stuck in boost mode and not throttling correctly.

Would be great if anyone can help me fix this. No single process is drawing 100% and my computer does not seem laggy.

Thank you,

Pinky

What does task manager show is using it..or part of it? Does any other application corroborate the CPU use?

Have you installed anything driver wise?

Is this a fresh install of Win7. It can sometime get stuck in an update loop that consumes the cpu and disk like this.

running an update program.

Attachments

• update stuck.jpg
    update stuck.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 51
Don't even bother with built in windows update. WSUS offline is glorious and will get you up to the latest updates in under an hour if your internet is decent.

windows is up to date
double checked mobo and video drivers and they are up to date

Task manager still shows fake 100% cpu usage.

CPUID HWMonitor shows correct 1-6% per core usage.

Last edited:
Open task manager, processes tab, show processes from all users.

Is SVCHOST or NETSVCS using a large amount of CPU time?

Nope. Pretty much takes what programs are running the most and says 40%-80% for those particular process. ie: task manger = 100% google chrome= 80%

I ran prime95 and am getting poor temps for my water loop. I admit my apogee GT is a little outdated, but 5x120 worth of radiator......

stock speeds so 3.4-3.8ghz VCORE was .968-1.232 temps between cores at max ranged from 65-72c. All I can hope is they don't go up much when I do decide to OC.

idle temps are 30c in a basement that is kept around 20c

windows is up to date
double checked mobo and video drivers and they are up to date

Task manager still shows fake 100% cpu usage.

CPUID HWMonitor shows correct 1-6% per core usage.
So Does Coretemp Or Realtemp Also Show The Same Low Loads?

Nope. Pretty much takes what programs are running the most and says 40%-80% for those particular process. ie: task manger = 100% google chrome= 80%

I ran prime95 and am getting poor temps for my water loop. I admit my apogee GT is a little outdated, but 5x120 worth of radiator......

stock speeds so 3.4-3.8ghz VCORE was .968-1.232 temps between cores at max ranged from 65-72c. All I can hope is they don't go up much when I do decide to OC.

idle temps are 30c in a basement that is kept around 20c

Is there a lot of hard drive activity when you look at the HD activity light?

So Does Coretemp Or Realtemp Also Show The Same Low Loads?

core temp shows low loads. same as cpuid HWMonitor

Is there a lot of hard drive activity when you look at the HD activity light?

No, little to none. Task manager is showing 0-1% Disk load after updates.

More info:

ASRock p67 Extreme4 Gen3
i7 2600k Sandy Bridge
DDR3 16GB 798.1 1:6 11-11-11-28-2T

I acquired this mobo/proc/ram for free. My friend built this for his mom for picture editing. She complained it was shutting off in the middle of her work. My friend found out CPU heatsink was full of cat hair and it was hitting thermal limit 95-98c and shutting down. He cleaned heatsink and she said it was still shutting down. He realized she was maxing out the RAM. Given his time/money he build new computer and gave this to me. I am lucky that this mobo fits 775 socket so my water block fits. Getting 37c idle temps. I will have to hope things are not damaged and the throttling did its just and shut down.

When first trying to install Windows 10 via thumb drive I could not get mobo to see USB stick. While trying to select boot device it saw my SSD from my i7-950 build and booted to that copy of windows 10 just fine. I then could see thumb drive and told windows to install fresh copy of windows 10.

Now I am here with task manager showing 100% false CPU usage. It is not any one or two programs that are making it hit this high false usage. Task manager takes what ever program is using about the most and says it is using A LOT!

If you can think of anything else to check I am all ears.

Thank you

-Pinky.

So because this computer can not boot from USB. Or even boot up into windows that is on SSD while there is a thumb drive in usb slot. This lead to me installing a fresh copy of windows through windows.....Could this cause any problems vs installing windows the old fashion way with a hard drive format and what not.

fixed.

Updated bios which allowed me to boot from USB to re-install windows 10. Still have some finicky USB ports on this mobo. Very tired and going to bed. Hoping next week I can re-install all my programs and maybe run a stock benchmark.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Back