• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New EVGA gtx 285 SSC off ebay...should I buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wanderlai

Registered
This was the EVGA GTX 285 SSC card the seller had a day ago. It was new, unopened, and came with a Newegg receipt dated 3-1-09. He sold it but contacted me that he will have another one tomorrow, new, unopened, with a Newegg receipt dated 3-2-09. I can buy it for $325 shipped 1-3 day USPS. It would leave me about a week to register the card with EVGA before the 30 day registration expires for the limited lifetime warranty. Here is the sellers link for the card he sold:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180338596285&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

So long as I have the receipt from an authorized seller I'm covered for the lifetime warranty and step up program correct?

Any ideas on how he is getting new unopened SSC's with the Newegg receipts? Each Newegg receipt shows only the one video card on it. I'm all for saving $100 on the price of the SSC version but I want to make sure I'll be able to register and get the lifetime warranty via EVGA. He told me he'd 100% guarantee that I'd be able to reister the card with EVGA, and that I would have no problems since it has a Newegg receipt.

Long story short, should I jump on the SSC?

Actually doesnt the step up and lifetime warranty come into play when you register the card? So long as the card isnt registered already it shouldnt be a problem right?

From what I gather you can register a card within 30 days of purchase but you'll have to produce a receipt if "you" ever have to RMA or Step-up the card. Also, EVGA only honors their warranties if "your" the original purchaser plus you have to have a receipt from an authorized seller. If "its" a gift from someone, EVGA will allow you to get the warranty since technically whomever gets the "gift" isnt the original purchaser.

From what I gather you can register a card within 30 days of purchase but you'll have to produce a receipt if "you" ever have to RMA or Step-up the card. Also, EVGA only honors their warranties if "your" the original purchaser plus you have to have a receipt from an authorized seller. If "its" a gift from someone, EVGA will allow you to get the warranty since technically whomever gets the "gift" isnt the original purchaser.
EVGA has so many stipulations, yes it's safer to buy from a store.:beer:

just say its a gift :p

sapphire and visiontek had no issue with someone elses reciept for me, I dont see why eVGA would.

As far as I know XFX doesn't even require reciept for RMAs. Hearing this for the first time about evga. Never buying a used evga now.

Not sure about RMA's, but I think they just need the receipt for step-up. You have to be able to prove how much you paid for it so you can get the appropriate credit.

So long as I have the receipt from an authorized seller I'm covered for the lifetime warranty and step up program correct?

Technically, no. You can usually get the manufacturer's actual warranty terms from their site, such as I've linked here:

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

Find out what warranty covers your card and click on the warranty terms towards the bottom.

ALL Defective products sent in for RMA replacement MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL INVOICE / RECEIPT. (Products NOT including invoice/receipt will be returned to the customer at customer's expense.)

Products purchased second hand or from an auction site do not carry any warranty.

A bit off-topic...

Zap are you a BFG dude?

Yes. I was registered here years before BFG hired me, and if in the future I become employed by some other company, I'll still be here... mostly lurking...

Speaking of BFG, I believe there's a deal on dell.com with coupon for a BFG 285 for around $280. I know that belongs in the CyberDeal forum, but it fits here too ;)

I can get a BFG 285 OCX for $307 after tax using the 30% off coupon. Tax is $20 foor me here in NC. Seems like a hot deal. Could also get BFG 295 for $350 plus tax, but its backordered now. Hmmmmmmmm....

Back