• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Fedora User Wit Dumb Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper_83

As title states.

I'm looking for a web place that may contain information on terminal and basic comands it uses along with what those commands do.

Any help is appricated.

Also is someone could point out how to point grub to the win32 boot kernal in XP is also welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I can't answer any dual-boot questions as I haven't done it for years. I have a few computers so I just pick and choose. ;)

As for linux command help-
The link in Stupid Boy's post should help out.

I did a quick Google search and came up with this list of bash commands.
It was the first hit; while it tells you little of what they are, and nothing of how to use them...it IS a pretty good list, I think.

Another resource you might want to look into is Fedora Forums.

A great resource for both new and advanced Fedora users. :)

Edit-
Side note....There really are no dumb questions- unless you DON"T ask them!

Trust me on this...I have had many questions that I never asked and that was a stupid thing for me to do. ;)

bizhar

Link below will tell you how to "point" to a different os when booting. But you will need to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
So, you will need an editor. I use VI, there are a bunch, and everyone has a fav.
I've used linux for about four years now and still have a lot of questions.
The one bit of advice I can give you is to learn how to use the command line if possible. This will help out bunches. Seems as if you are already starting to :)
Welcome to FREEDOM & CHOICE, doesn't it feel good?
OH here is a nice page for commands http://www.isu.edu/departments/comcom/unix/workshop/unixindex.html
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157805&highlight=grub+bootloader

bizhar

I was referring to this
"Also is someone could point out how to point grub to the win32 boot kernal in XP is also welcomed."
Do you mean you would like to have Win as your default when you boot?
When you install Fedora it will take over the bootloader. Meaning it will control what OS is going to load.
I thought you wanted Win to be the default OS on your system?
Have you loaded Fedora yet? Maybe i'm getting ahead of myself :)

Titan386

MisterEd said:
You mean edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

Actually, according to the grub documentation, menu.lst is the correct name for the configuration file. I have seen, however, some distros that symlink grub.conf to menu.lst, though I'm not sure why.

OP
Sniper_83

Sniper_83

Thank you for your help. I have been a bit bussy lately I need to mod some configs I got on my HDD. Hopefully I will get to the fedora install this weekend.

BTW I do want microcrap to be the defalt OS because I do alot O gameing and I'm not going to use the winsht bootloader when grub is by far better.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
The windows bootloader may be inferior, but I've seen people have problems booting windows with grub. I wouldn't put M$ above adding a little code to their bootloader that tells windows to act screwy when you use other bootloaders. (edit: This statement is pure conjecture, with no basis other than MS' modus operandi.) On the other hand, it could just be a grub bug.

Last edited:
OP
Sniper_83

Sniper_83

Well... How would I point the winboot loader to fedora then?

Edit: I do belive you have a point, Microcrap is by no means above said act.

MisterEd

You can select what is the default O/S to boot with GRUB by editing the entry for the default variable in the grub.conf file:
For the 1st O/S to be the default: default=0
For the 2nd O/S to be the default: default=1
For the 3rd O/S to be the default: default=2

BTW, despite what any documentation says, the file that RedHat and Fedora uses for GRUB configuration is called grub.conf.

Here is a grub.conf file that I have used:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,6)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Windows XP Pro
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1​
title Red Hat 9.0 (2.4.20-8)
root (hd2,6)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/1 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img​
title Fedora Core 1 (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
root (hd0,6)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi rhgb
initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img​

OP
Sniper_83

Sniper_83

Yes this is all helpfull but a little farther down the raod than I am. First I need to tell grub where to find the boot for win XP or point the Win32 boot loader to the fedora boot, be for I can set the default OS. I'm just not sure what I'm looking for.

MisterEd

Then where are you? I though you were going to install Fedora. Did you install the GRUB loader? If you did then it should have set up the GRUB loader on the MBR of your first drive.

Take the Windows entry in grub.conf:
title Windows XP Pro
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

The boot partition for Windows is (hd0,0). Drive hd0 is defined in the file "device.map" to be /dev/hda. (hd0,0) is the first partition of /dev/hda which is /dev/hda1. You can list the partitions for each drive by using the linux fdisk command.
For the 1st drive the command would be: fdisk -l /dev/hda
For the 2nd drive the command would be: fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Example using my system:

# fdisk -l /dev/hda
Code:
   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1      2550  20482843+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2          2551      9964  59552955    f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5          2551      5100  20482843+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda6          5101      7650  20482843+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda7          7651      7663    104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda8          7664      7917   2040223+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda9          7918      9964  16442496   83  Linux

OP
Sniper_83

Sniper_83

I've never done this b4 but I thought I had to locate a file/kernal that grub needs to boot winXP.

Sorry if I sound like a retard...umm...well guess I am but thats not the point.

MisterEd

Sniper_83 said:
I've never done this b4 but I thought I had to locate a file/kernal that grub needs to boot winXP.
Sorry if I sound like a retard...umm...well guess I am but thats not the point.
No need to apologize. We were all noobs once. The only dumb question is the one not asked..

This is all GRUB needs to boot Windows XP:

title Windows XP Pro
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

rootnoverify means to set the current root device to (hd0,0) but not mount it

(hd0,0) is the same as linux /dev/hda1 or Windows C:

chainloader +1 means that GRUB should read one sector from the start of the partition /dev/hda1 to boot

Malakai

Before I went 100% pure linux, I dual booted. I only commented that stuff out of my grub.conf, so I can still show it to you.

/boot/grub/grub.conf
Code:
default 0 // the default "option" to boot. 0 is the first, 1 is the second, ect. In this case, 0 is Gentoo Linux 2.6.7
timeout 30 // The amount of seconds to wait before booting into the default os specified above
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz // an internal grub thing, loads the splash image

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.7 // what the option will appear as in the menu
root (hd0,1) // the root "/" partition of the hard drive
kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda2 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=795 hdc=ide-cd hdd=ide-cd
// above are the kernel paramaters in this order: location of kernel:drive with / mounted on it: kernel paramaters, this loads me into a 1280x1024 framebuffer command line

#title=Windows XP // what this option appears as
#rootnoverify (hd0,0) // this is the windows "root" drive
#chainloader +1 // this becomes option 1 in the menu

Just edit the drive locations and kernel paramaters to match your machine

OP
Sniper_83

Sniper_83

Ok, thank you all. It looks like you told me all I need to attempt the dual boot, now all I need is the time to try to config it.

Toasty_Squirrel

MisterEd said:
title Windows XP Pro
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

rootnoverify means to set the current root device to (hd0,0) but not mount it

(hd0,0) is the same as linux /dev/hda1 or Windows C:

chainloader +1 means that GRUB should read one sector from the start of the partition /dev/hda1 to boot

Okay, I've got a question being that I'm in a very similar camp as Sniper, just no body likes to respond to my threads lately for some reason. First, it seems like the general consensus is that grub.conf is indeed the file to modify; although from my own experimentation it looks like menu.lst has the exact same context. Anyway, so here are my questions which are for the most part in the same spirit of Sniper's

1) Where is grub.conf located; and how do you invoke a text editor from the terminal? I'm also running FC2 and know I have "Joe" installed along with some defualt editor (which I've used from the GUI).

2) What exactly does hd0,0 mean? It seems like hda1 is 1st drive and the 1st partition, with hdb1 beling the second drive and the 1st partition; so how does any of that and their subsequent numbers correspond to a format like hd0,0. I think that is pretty much where I'm getting stuck at right now with my dual boot and tryin to figure out what parameter to use to get grub to look over at XP.

In my situation, both OSs were installed on seperate drives *w/o* the drive for the other OS being attached at all. So right now:
Linux = IDE1/Master
XP = IDE1/Slave

Each utilizes it's own bootloader and assumes it is the first OS in existance on my rig.

You have no idea how much I appreciate any help anyone is willing to lend me. If I had an attractive sister, I'd gladly post revealing pictures of her to express my gratitude. But since I'm an only child I'll just say "thanks" :bday:

OP
Sniper_83

Sniper_83

Which version of fedora are you useing, core 1 or core 2? - *shrugs* "I have no idea if their is a difference."

I belive that you can find thboot file in
Code:
/boot/grub/menu.lst
all you should need to do is type that into the browser.