• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New firmware for Intel X25-M is out!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

watchthisspace

Announcement: Intel® Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Dec. 1, 2009 Show Details Hide Details Intel has released a new firmware (02HD) and firmware update tool (version 1.5) to fix the issue with the firmware update process on 34nm (G2) Intel® X25-M SSDs (80GB and 160GB).

Intel recommends that end users Download this firmware update tool and upgrade your SSD

• This new firmware provides Trim support (on 80GB and 160GB) and better sequential write performance (on 160GB)

• If you experience any issues during the upgrade process contact Intel Customer Support

Download: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

Is there a reason for me to update to this FW over the last FW update that added TRIM support?

Very interesting...

So Ive had my Intel SSD now for I dont know, maybe 2 months? It did show some slower performance on the writes. They were down, all across the board (all sizes). I also had the benchmarks from when I first got the drive brand new. Needless to say, updating the firmware was almost like formatting the drive, except without the loss of data :D

Crystal Disk Mark Benches

Brand New:
Seq Read/Write: 269.0 // 90.10
512K Read/Write: 206.3 // 88.32
4K Read/Write: 26.59 // 66.50

Before Flash:
Seq Read/Write: 267.6 // 77.47
512K Read/Write: 205.6 // 56.78
4K Read/Write: 25.83 // 52.97

After Flash:
Seq Read/Write: 263.1 // 89.42
512K Read/Write: 206.4 // 89.31
4K Read/Write: 23.37 // 73.62

I wonder why the flash did that on its own. Wouldnt you have to have W7 work its TRIM magic first?

What FW was on it prior to the flash?

According to the flash, the old firmware was: 2CV102G9 new: 2CV102HD

I do have Windows 7 Pro full. Not sure why it would help so much? I ran more than just crystal, I just like to reference crystal. I also ran HDTune, AS SSD, along with CDM. All were showing the same results before/after.

How long does it take for TRIM to do its thing? Once you boot into win7 with latest firmware, does it just start wiping the empty space?

ATTO and CrystalDM, and AS SSD are the accurate ones. Weird how that instantly helped. I guess wait until TRIM hits it and it should get even better??

Or maybe that FW does the TRIM function upon install? No clue.

How long does it take for TRIM to do its thing? Once you boot into win7 with latest firmware, does it just start wiping the empty space?
I thought it needed to be idle... like S3 state (that could be GC though)...

Not sure. I was reading somewhere that the G2 drives didnt ship with the TRIM firmware. They were supposed to, but never did and this is supposed to be the update? Maybe Im wrong and misread. Trying to figure it out now.

Not sure. I was reading somewhere that the G2 drives didnt ship with the TRIM firmware. They were supposed to, but never did and this is supposed to be the update? Maybe Im wrong and misread. Trying to figure it out now.

Yeah I read that several places too. There was a firmware released a week or so ago that had TRIM support but it screwed up some drives so they took it down shortly after posting it. Then the latest one is supposed to support TRIM and increase write speeds for the 160GB version. It shouldn't mess up drives though :)

This is what I've gotten from reading lately, not personal experience!

Well, this one didnt brick my drive. I downloaded the file, and it immediately burned to a disc (dont even have to tell it to). I booted to the disc, said YES to a few things, and off it went without a hitch. One of the easiest updates Ive ever done honestly.

sweet i cant wait till i get home to try this on the raided x-18s. No trim support, but we will see if it helps them out any.

well bummer, no update for G1 series. Here are the results anyway

Attachments

• intelssdraid.png
    intelssdraid.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 421
Just updated my drive. Have to agree, very easy and no problems encountered. I still wouldn't suggest updating it without a full backup first.

Back