• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New/first solo build equipment check/opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JMass

Registered
Howdy, I have helped several of my friends build their rigs and understand the process overall, however I am now embarking on the journey solo for the first time. I have compiled a list of products I am prepared to buy and wanted some expert opinions on the ability to overclock as the subject has peaked my interest. In addition, I am just curious as to your opinions of my choices overall.
**Bear in mind I am a novice at best at overclocking knowledge and am just beginning to break into the 'field' if you will**

Core2 Quad 9400
Asus P5E3 Pro Mobo
G.SKILL 6GB-1600
Corsair 750TX
ATI HD 5770
WD Caviar Black 750GB HDD
Antec 902 Case

OS Win7 Pro x64

Thanks in advance, I will be looking forward to your responses as well as becoming a valuable member of the forums.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Welcome!!!!

What is your budget?

Also, not sure why you would go 6GB...as you would have 2x2gb and 2x1gb in there... Unless you run VM's or do a lot of heavy encoding or rendering or things of the like, you would be just fine with 4GB (2x2gb).

I would also get the Gigabyte P45 UD3P instead of the board you selected for overclocking quads.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...58&cm_re=Gigabyte_UD3p-_-13-128-358-_-Product

As far as a novice in overclocking, check out the guide in my signature to get you started to learn the basics.

Last edited:

TechJunky

IMO, I would go with a dual core instead of a quad if your intentions were just to overclock. They are a lot more tolerant and run cooler. This allows you to have greater room for error. If you are just looking to push a quad a little more than normal you should be fine. Either way though you are going to need an aftermarket cooler.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
There is very little reason to go dual now, especially for a new build. Really though only reasons I can think to go dual now is SOLELY for overclocking purposes, or the budget doesnt allow for a quad.

TechJunky

There is very little reason to go dual now, especially for a new build. Really though only reasons I can think to go dual now is SOLELY for overclocking purposes, or the budget doesnt allow for a quad.

Agreed, I guess thats the point I was trying to make. :)

OP
JMass

JMass

Registered
Welcome!!!!

What is your budget?

Also, not sure why you would go 6GB...as you would have 2x2gb and 2x1gb in there... Unless you run VM's or do a lot of heavy encoding or rendering or things of the like, you would be just fine with 4GB (2x2gb).

I would also get the Gigabyte P45 UD3P instead of the board you selected for overclocking quads.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...58&cm_re=Gigabyte_UD3p-_-13-128-358-_-Product

As far as a novice in overclocking, check out the guide in my signature to get you started to learn the basics.

Thank you both, VERY much for your quick responses.

My budget is around $1000-1200 for all components. I only recently thought about the 6GB because it had a decent price for the amount/speed.
I haven't used G.Skill before, rather only Crucial and Kingston but I am open to any suggestions.

As for using a quad over anything else, I didn't want to go with the i series just yet because I was waiting for the market to settle down on them, and I heard that the Q9400 had a decent bit of overhead for overclocking at decent voltages.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
If you can afford the i series, you should do it. And with a 1k budget. You can do it. Do you happen to live near a Microcenter?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
CPU: i5 750 - $200 (FS)
RAM: 4GB OCZ DDR3 1600 CAS8 - $101 ($6 SH)
MOBO: MSI P55 CD53 - $115 (FS)
PSU: Corsair 650TX - $100 (FS, +$10 MIR)
GPU: HD 5770 - $170 ($8 SH)
HDD: Western Dig Caviar Black 750GB - $80 (FS)
CASE: Antec 902 - $110 ($15 SH)

Total $876 without SH or MIRebates.

If you plan on overclocking an aftermarket cooler would be needed. If you plan on adding a second HD5770 down the road, you would want to go with your original PSU (750TX).

But yeah, that build is leaps and bounds better than what you originally listed. ;)

OP
JMass

JMass

Registered
There is a Microcenter in Cincinnati Ohio. Doesn't look like 4 hours to me. You can get a i7 860 for $229 +tax.

11755 Mosteller Road, Sharonville, OH 45241
Where I-75 and I-275 cross.
ah yeah you're right I missed that one. That's more like 1.5 hours away.

So, with the above build earthdog listed, to begin overclocking I would need something along the lines of a Zalman CPU cooler?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Xigmatek s1283 with bolt through kit, or Sunbeam Core Contact freezer is what I would do. That zalman, while better than stock, is made for quiet more so then performance.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
OP
JMass

JMass

Registered
CPU: i5 750 - $200 (FS)
RAM: 4GB OCZ DDR3 1600 CAS8 - $101 ($6 SH)
MOBO: MSI P55 CD53 - $115 (FS)
PSU: Corsair 650TX - $100 (FS, +$10 MIR)
GPU: HD 5770 - $170 ($8 SH)
HDD: Western Dig Caviar Black 750GB - $80 (FS)
CASE: Antec 902 - $110 ($15 SH)

Total $876 without SH or MIRebates.

If you plan on overclocking an aftermarket cooler would be needed. If you plan on adding a second HD5770 down the road, you would want to go with your original PSU (750TX).

But yeah, that build is leaps and bounds better than what you originally listed. ;)

Lovely, well I'll look into taking a trip up to Cinci this weekend. What is the reasoning behind the mobo choice? Any particular reason you favor this MSI over other models/brands? Just wondering if their are features I should look out for.

Thank you all once again for yout input and responses. It's a big help if I can get advice on suitable hardware when i am trying to dive into overclocking.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
its a solid overclocker and its easy on the eyes... no real reason I have to admit.

BUt yeah, the i7 860 at microcenter is a good deal and I would get that.

OP
JMass

JMass

Registered
Not gonna lie, I think it's gonna be an interesting learning experience figuring out OCing on an i series with as little information there is compared to OCing C2Q's. I was hoping to go C2Q because of all the resources and reliability that there is. However, I have a very small learning curve and a capacity to take alot in, so why not embark on this adventure?

So, i7 860 is what I think im gonna go with.

Unfortunately I think my mother (my birthday is in April overheard me talking about some stuff when i was over for dinner, she loves her surprises) bought me a Q9400 already. No worries though, if she did and I cant get Newegg to take it back (which i doubt they would) Ill take it to this place down here where my friend works and get him to trade it in for in store credit and get my case and such there. They do price matching so it shouldnt be a problem.

So long as you all prepared for incessant question asking, I am prepared to have my blood pressure go up!

edit: I noticed your guide to i7s in your sig, that looked helpful so maybe it won't be too bad.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
There is a front page article coming out quite here that will help out quite a bit... stay tuned... :)