• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gaming build - e8400/GA-P35-DS3L - please answer questions - Thank you!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Josza

A very big 'Thank you' folks for reviewing this and providing your comments.

This build is for a Gaming machine to mainly run the upcoming Age of Conan and Warhammer games. I will not be multi-tasking, or editing videos, or any other big things. Just gaming and web surfing.
I am building this for the immediate future and don't want to spend a lot on trying to "future-proof" since I usually end up just building a whole new system every 3-5 years anyways. I usually just give away my older systems to family members (8 nieces and nephews), so I don't plan on reusing too many parts. (Although this time I'm going to spend a little extra on the Case and PSU, so may off-load the contents of this rig to a cheaper case & psu later.)

Main precepts:
No major upgrades for next 3 years. (Maybe the GPU if 'really' needed, but no RAM, CPU)
No SLI
I don't care too much about PCIe 2.0
No future-proof of the MOBO (No one even knows if the next gen CPUs will use 775 sockets anyways)

I have added a few questions below in the parts descriptions, but my main questions are:
1) Will this MOBO/CPU/GPU/RAM combo work decently for slight Over Clocking? (e8400 to 3.6 GHz, whatever I can get out of the GPU and RAM that is very stable for long periods.)
2) What is the best sequence for over clocking the components? (I'm guessing - CPU, then RAM, lastly the GPU)
3) Will the pc6400 RAM run at native speeds once I OC the e8400 to 3.6 GHz?
4) What is the best way to OC the e8400 CPU to run most effectively with the RAM and GPU?
5) Do I really need RAID 0? Most games should not be running from the HD I think.
6) What is the difference between the 'Artic Silver 5' and the regular 'Artic Silver'? Which should I be using?
7) Do I need the Artic Silver thermal paste REMOVER if I'm just building from scratch using new parts?
8) Lapping - Is this really needed for my level of OC? If so, I take it that I should do this after I've made sure that everything posts correctly...yes?

===============================
Buy.com parts:

Antec Nine Hundred Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $89.99
[Best reviewed case for OC and max cooling - $30 cheaper than at newegg]

Corsair TX 650W ATX12V Power Supply - $97.99 ($30 rebate = $67.99 total)
[Solid power - No SLI needed - Single Rail for good peak load - $12 cheaper than newegg]

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 800MHz 240-pin DDR2 Memory
qty: 2 - unit price: $58.59 ($30 rebate = $28.59 total per pair = $57.18 total for 4GB)
[This is the 4-4-4-12 CAS timings. I don't need to upgrade to 8MB, so can fill all 4 slots with this 4GB. Cheaper than what I could find at other places.]
-----------------------------------------------
SubTotal: $305.16 (free shipping - also $10 coupon used)
***This stuff is already ordered, so no changes will be made here unless I made a major mistake.***
==============================
NewEgg parts:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail - $89.99
[No SLI needed - PCIe 2.0 not really used right now - great OC - New to OC and don't want to push too far, so the 3.6 GHz limit on the e8400 is fine with me. I just needed 'rock solid', and this should be it.]

EVGA 512-P3-N845-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) KO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $254.99 ($30 rebate = $224.99 total)
[No SLI - runs cooler and faster than 8800GT - New to OC and don't want to push too far, so this core clock of 678Mhz is a great start. I know that the 8800GT is 'more bang for the buck', but the extra $65 is more than worth it to me to not worry about having to OC too much.]

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model - $199.99
[Strictly gaming and not multi-tasking so no Q6600 - I went with the e8400 over the e3110 since I will only be OC to 3.6Ghz and don't need to spend the extra $20.]

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - $99.99
[I don't think I'll need RAID 0, so only 1 of these. 32MB cache on this newer model!]

Acer P223Wwd Glossy White 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail - $249.99
[This is the new model and has 1000:1 contrast (as opposed to the 700:1 used for the most popular model, and for only $20 more too.) This is also white in color which is a nice change from the usual black, although I chose this because of the better contrast ratio.]

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N - OEM - $33.99
[basic stuff here]

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM - $99.99
[DirectX 10 is the only reason I am using this. I can't believe you can only install this one time. I have transferred my WinXP to 4 different machines - only 1 at a time of course.]

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM - $5.99
[What is the difference between this and the regular "Artic Silver" ? Which should I be using?]

Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier - OEM - $5.99
[Do I really need this if I'm building from scratch with new parts?]

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail - $36.99
[Protection for even a slight OC from 3.0 GHz to 3.6 GHz. Has anyone tried to install this on my MOBO in a Antec 900? I bet someone has who can share...]

Subtotal: $1,077.90
***These items have not yet been ordered. I wanted to solicit everyone's feedback first.***
===============================

Thank you again for your time and help in responding. It is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Josza

:)

yea that looks great
i would just change a few changes
change the DVD burner to this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135165
an your HDD to this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073
or if you want to spend a little more on the HDD get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218
that there if one of the fastest HDDs on the market.
an your CPU cooler to this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Damn thats an overpriced Freezer 7 Pro ($36??) they normaly cost $25 ($20 on sale). But I do agree a good $25 cooler is more then enough for a 3.6ghz overclock, Freezer 7 Pro or Scythe Katana 2 would be my suggestions.

System looks good overall, PSU is way overkill though as the 450VX (actually does about 600W if pushed, could easily of been sold as a 550W) or a quality 500W OCZ PSU would be more then enough for your build.

If you drop your memory divider to run DDR2 667mhz then when you OC your FSB to 400 (3.6ghz for an E8400) it will be running stock DDR2 800mhz, yes.

You don't need RAID no, it has its uses but far from a necessity for most people.

AS5 is good though I like MX-2 better (same company, just its newer stuff) as it doesn't require burn in and does 1-2C better. Original AS stuff is just the older thermal paste, not as good as AS5.

Back