• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gaming Build - Thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LaskoAA

Registered
Hey guys,

Any thoughts on the below?

GPU: $589
PSU: $99.99
RAM: $154.99
Motherboard: $108.99
CPU: $309.99
Cooler: $29.90
SSD: $104.99
Case: $29.99

Thanks!

Where are you located?
Primary use?
What kind of monitor?
If gaming any chance you can add another hundo for a 1080 Ti instead?

+1 on the 1080Ti. If you can swing it, you'd hate yourself in a month for not, haha.

I did the step up from the 1080 FTW that I bought, and haven't looked back since. the Ti brings some serious future proofing.

Other than that, build looks good assuming your doing some heavy gaming. Maybe you are reusing an old HDD for more storage or something, but 250 GB fills up fast with games, so just think about another drive for mass storage (movies, music, pics, etc.).

Consider dropping the RAM for something more generic/cheaper. G SKill RAM 16gb 2666 would do the same for less. Use that saved towards a nicer case. (Fractal Design Define C comes to mind). Remember a case will likely last you through multiple builds/upgrades.. The Apex seems okay, but I can't say it exudes build quality from looking at it.

Otherwise looks good. If you're at 1080p 144hz+ it's a great build or similarly 1440p 60hz. If you're at 1440p 144+hz as others have said consider stretching to the 1080 Ti. (Note I use a 1070 at 1440p 60hz and runs great, but I also don't care about maxing everything, Very high/ultra mix with AA/motion blur down/off etc suit me fine.

Technically, that's the speed the memory operates at.

Practically, there will be no difference at all. Like Mjolnir said, go with the less expensive stuff, and you can free up some cash to spend elsewhere.

Back