• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Summer01

Hi, so I'm planning to build a new gaming PC by next week and would like some feedback and suggestions. :)
I plan to play Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and any future expansions. My budget is roughly $850-1000 but I prefer best bang for the buck. I plan to order most of the parts from Newegg since I don't get charged tax while Amazon does. Located in NYC.

THis is what I have narrowed it down to:

CPU: i5 3570k IB, which I believe drops next week,
(is the SB i5 2500k a more viable option even if its an "older" chip?)
Heatsink: CM Hyper 212+

MOBO: Not sure if there is a big difference between the two as I heard great things for both.
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
ASRock Z77 Pro3
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB
GPU: Wanted a 7850, but most of them are OoS on newegg
ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850
PSU: Not sure which one is good or what I need to look for.
HDD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB
I would also like at least a 1TB as storage.
Case: Need sugggestions for this, I prefer aluminum and something quiet. I don't need anything flashy. I was looking into the Corsaid 550D though.
DVD Drive: Lite On

I just have a few more questions:

1. Is installing an aftermarket heatsink difficult? In this case, the 212? Last time I built a machine was back in '05 and I don't want to end up breaking it

2. I plan to get a 120hz monitor and read it's only possible through Display port? Is that the mini display port on certain GPU's?

3. 4. The Z77 doesnt suport SLI/CF I believe, but I doubt I will need that since I'm not running any graphic intensive games?

Thanks again for the help!

Mobo - Either will be fine. Just pic the feature set you require, the looks, and price, then pull the trigger.

PSU - For that PC, just grab something in the 500W range from the list in my signature. Corsair is a solid brand.

Case: Up to you. 550D is a GREAT choice though.

1. Easy breezy to install an aftermarket heatsink.
2. I think DVId and HDMI to 120hz, not sure though.
3. The chipset supports SLI/CrossfireX. Chances are, you dont need a multi GPU setup, no. Anything at 1920x1200 or less can be handled with a single GPU.

if you wana save some cash, the HAF912 is a kick *** case for $60. I have the extreem4 and love it.

Back