• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New gaming build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark_QTR

Registered
Hey guys..

So I think its take to get rid of my old hag and build a PC that will be up-to-date for a couple of years.

What I currently own and planning to keep

Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z - 2680x1440 freesync 144hz
CPU Cooling: Corsair H70 2X Corsair fans
PSU: Cooler Master silent pro 800W
Case: Cooler Master HAF X
Case Cooling : 4X Cooler Master 200mm fans
GPU: GIGABYTE 7970 OC Ghz Edition ""temporary""**

Things that I'm planning to buy:
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 3466MHz

CPU
Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz

MOBO

GA-Z170X-GAMING 5

Storage

SSD-Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD

--------------------
** Regarding the GPU, I had my eyes on the MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti but then I started to think about my monitor and freesync... the fury x seems to be good, but it seems that the GTX is kinda superior. After researching it looks like its not a good time to get a new GPU as both AMD and Nvida might release something new in the upcoming months e.g Fury X2.. So I guess i'll stick with my 7970 until then.

Anyways, what do you guys think about the whole thing? is there better alternatives?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Ram speed is massive overkill.. save a few quid and grab DDR4 3K CL14/15 instead. No need for anything faster than that really.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
I don't see any big issues with your setup there, I think you'd be very happy with it. The RAM could likely drop down to around 3000 and you wouldn't notice any performance difference.

My only suggestion would be to look at either Western Digital or Hitachi (HGST) for the storage drive. I've just had enough bad experiences with Seagate drives (and read enough of them) that it's just not worth it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It's anyone's guess, but rumor has it nvidia may be out in late may with midrange pascal.

OP
D

Dark_QTR

Registered
I don't see any big issues with your setup there, I think you'd be very happy with it. The RAM could likely drop down to around 3000 and you wouldn't notice any performance difference.

My only suggestion would be to look at either Western Digital or Hitachi (HGST) for the storage drive. I've just had enough bad experiences with Seagate drives (and read enough of them) that it's just not worth it.

Ram speed is massive overkill.. save a few quid and grab DDR4 3K CL14/15 instead. No need for anything faster than that really.

The Seagate is 20$ cheaper tho.. but idk about reliability.. I might be reconsidering only cuz i have 2X WD raptor raided 0 for like 6 years!
regarding the ram.. these 3466MHz are kinda cheap giving other 3000MHz rams.. but they might be dodgy.. I'll look more into that

When are the new Graphics cards coming out?

It's anyone's guess, but rumor has it nvidia may be out in late may with midrange pascal.

Im assuming Q2-Q3 2016 and maybe something at E3
Fury X2 was initially scheduled for Dec 2015 but delayed for 2016 to be more VR optimized
We might even see more HBM GPU's rather than GDDR5

Read more here

http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-fury-x2-specs-gemini/
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2015/

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The pascal link is over a year old... it's rumored that the first release for pascal with be with the new gddr5. The flagships will ship with hbm2.

You can find 2x4 GB ddr4 3K for $50 at newegg. ;)

Last edited:

wingman99

Nvidia HBM 2, in 2 H 2016
As for the GP100, I don't think NVIDIA will unveil the GeForce GTX 980 Ti successor just yet as the GTX 980 Ti is still one of the best video cards you can buy. We should see a Titan X successor unveiled - powered by HBM2, followed by a successor to the GTX 980 - powered by GDDR5X. The HBM2-powered offerings will be able to pack 32GB of HBM2, and offer up to 1TB/sec of memory bandwidth, up from the 334GB/sec on the GeForce GTX 980 Ti and its GDDR5.
Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/49815/nvidia-launch-next-gen-pascal-gpus-hbm2-2h-2016/index.html

Last edited:

bob4933

Ram speed is slowly becoming erroneous for pricing (minus enthusiast sticks of course...). No need for anything faster than 2133 (for gaming) if we wanna get down to brass tacks. I'd be more focused on brand and stick quality over speed, i.e. Gskill with their LIFETIME warranty is quite reassuring :)