• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPU Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dizzy Strife

Registered
1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs: See Signature.

2) What is your budget? $400 including taxes and shipping. Maybe $500 tops

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? As long as I can. Lol

4) What will the new Video Card be used for? Gaming and other stuff. Basically, I game on my main monitor and run things like websites, livestreams and pandora on the second monitor.

I recently built a new gaming rig about 6 months ago or so. Due to my budget, I took the HD7750 out of my old machine. I have gotten to the point where it is very apparent that this GPU is holding back the rest of my computer. Games lag and skip around and just weird stuff like that, also my FPS isn't very good. I wanted to get some advice before I make a choice. I'm not sure if I want to go NVidia or AMD right now. I've had both in the past and have been happy with both.

I've seen other posts where people say to wait for the 7xx series for NVidia, but I am not worried about being 100% top of the line. I'm just tired of being way behind the curve with my current card. I have usually gone cheap with GPU's just because I have not had the money to get better.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: The 23" Samsung runs on HDMI and the 19" Samsung runs on DVI

Edit 2: I plan on buying from Newegg.com

Are you willing to go a little over budget? The GTX780 just came out and that thing's got some serious dangly bits. About $650. Otherwise, look at the 7950/70 and the GTX670.

7970 or 670. 7970 will net you higher fps and pure throughput. But the 670 MAY give you 'cleaner' frames?? If that time render frame crap or whatever it is is true.

Are you willing to go a little over budget? The GTX780 just came out and that thing's got some serious dangly bits. About $650. Otherwise, look at the 7950/70 and the GTX670.

At 1020x1080 the 780 is a little overdoing it, even more at that price .....

But the 670 MAY give you 'cleaner' frames?? If that time render frame crap or whatever it is is true.

This problem mostly (only) afect multiGPU with AMD setup.

get a 7970, call it a day !

I see that a lot. Any advice on manufacturer or anything else? There are about 6 or so of them to choose from on Newegg that have the video outputs I need.

Yeah it would be nice to have the top of the line, but going 150-250 or budget depending on if I can squeeze out the extra 100 to hit 500 in the first place, isn't really a "little" over to me. :p

As far as the 7950/70 or the GTX670, which do you think would be a better bang for my buck? Yes I realize it is pretty much comparing apples to oranges, but I would still like your opinion.

Oh maybe I should mention I run the main monitor (23") at 1920x1080 and the secondary (19") at 1440x900

Get the cheapest 7970 with a decent cooler (Sapphire dual-oc, MSI windforce).

Cool. Thank you!

:)

The only IF I'd make here is IF you're a silence nut like me the Asus dcuii gtx 670 is the quietest higher tier card on the market still far as I know. It's the card I use and I love it. Runs my 2560*1440 res quite well. Though like I said the 7970 will net you higher average fps.

:)

The only IF I'd make here is IF you're a silence nut like me the Asus dcuii gtx 670 is the quietest higher tier card on the market still far as I know. It's the card I use and I love it. Runs my 2560*1440 res quite well. Though like I said the 7970 will net you higher average fps.

Yeah I'm not worried about quiet. My machine is already pretty loud with all the fans I have in it. LOL

Yeah I'm not worried about quiet. My machine is already pretty loud with all the fans I have in it. LOL

Haha then stick with the 7970 for sure. I've only got 5 fans in my rig. 2 small on my gpu. One in my psu. A fairly low rpm 180mm and a 120mm on my CPU. At night my hdd and my h60 pump(very quiet mind you) are the 'loudest' things in my rig. :p. During the day I can't hear it. Period. Enjoy your new card!! Report back here and let us know how it performs :)

Haha then stick with the 7970 for sure. I've only got 5 fans in my rig. 2 small on my gpu. One in my psu. A fairly low rpm 180mm and a 120mm on my CPU. At night my hdd and my h60 pump(very quiet mind you) are the 'loudest' things in my rig. :p. During the day I can't hear it. Period. Enjoy your new card!! Report back here and let us know how it performs :)

Oh I've got 10 fans I think in mine. Nice and loud. Lol. I can't hear it when the air conditioner is running or I have music playing or the TV going or my headset on, but otherwise, yeah you can hear it loud and clear. LOL.

Back