• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I'm thinking of switching to an Nvidia card as my Gigabyte AMD card is having some issues. Unfortunately, I can't send it back at this point, so it's just live and learn. I was told on another thread that for 1080P gaming which is what I'm doing now that a 970 is good enough and I don't need to worry about the 3.5/.5 GB issue. Can someone recommend a good GTX 970? I've only got 10.5 inches of clearance with my current case...when I build my new system I'll have plenty, but right now this is what I'm working with. So if I could get a recommendation of around 10 inches or so, that would be much appreciated. I'm leaning away from Gigabyte because my 390 keeps failing, but I think an EVGA is my only choice because the card is short enough. What do you guys think? Thanks for any responses.

Vellinious

If you plan to overclock, get a dual bios card. The EVGA FTW (ACX 2.0+), the Gigabyte and MSI cards are very good as well. Stay away from the STRIX 970, it's locked at 1.212v and even a bios mod won't raise it....and with 1 x 8 pin power connector, they're severely power limited. Most of the Galax cards are also voltage limited.

If you're not going to overclock....pick one. They're all about the same.