• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPUs and pricing= end of pc gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
I've been reading up alot lately about the new gen GPU's and the pricing that follows. I've been debating wether or not to upgrade my current system. So far I've had different lists and different costs. What kills me is the cost of the new GPU. It's like 60% or more of my budget is going into the GPU alone. Pretty much every turn I take upgrade wise is leading me to the end of pc gaming. No way in hell am I gonna spend $1500 on a GPU, and in all honesty I'm not comfortable buying used unless I know personally about the unit and where it's coming from. And no, I'm not going to buy something subpar just to settle.

I'm beginning to think my road of PC gaming is coming to an end. My current system ( tho a little aged) has handled evrything I've thrown at it and it still games with the best of them, but I'm realizing if I want to continue to game on my rig, I'm going to have to shell out quite a chunk for a GPU that will last me several years like my roadmap has been.

I'm not into consoles as my mitts are too dam big and I can't hold on to a controller for more than 20 minutes before my hands start cramping up my gaming enjoyment becomes painful.

So I guess I answered my own questions wayy before I even asked them.

Why do you need to drop $1500 on a gpu? A 2070 gets you 70% of the performance of a 2080ti for 40% of the cost. If you wait a few months a 3070 will probably get you 2080ti performance for $450.

Current prices for a 2080Ti averages between 1k to $1700. I just stated if I'm upgrading to a whole new machine I'm not going to settle. And when the 3070 does come out, The 2080ti is not going to be anywheres near the $450 mark unless it's used and abused.

Last edited:
I am sooooo down with you Nebs, baby.
I game on A pair of 1080's that I bought used, at the height of the bitcoin craze, I'll stick with them.

Why do you need to drop $1500 on a gpu? A 2070 gets you 70% of the performance of a 2080ti for 40% of the cost. If you wait a few months a 3070 will probably get you 2080ti performance for $450.
This.

Neb, why do you think you need to spend that much on a GPU? What resolution and Hz do you game at? For $1500/2080 Ti it sounds like you are looking to 4K/60 FPS... If you are at 2560x1440/144 Hz/FPS a 2080 or 2080 Super is solid for that. High Hz/FPS 1080p a 2070 or 2070 Super is good there. You didn't get a flagship when you bought the 1070...so why would getting something around that caliber now (or better and much less expensive than a 2080 Ti) be considered settling? :)

I'd go GPU now (actually, I'd buy when Ampre and the new Navi cards are released in a few months), and in a year or two, look at CPU/Mobo/Ram.

I agree in premise, I'd love to get a top tier card when Ampere launches, but I won't be spending $1000+ for it.

I'll pick up the 3080 assuming it's around $700 and be good for a long while assuming the performance is there.

No it wont. Nvidia cards have never scaled like that. A 3070 will be like a 2080 or slightly less.

Hopefully, if the new AMD line can compete with NVidia, pricing might drop a bit.

But I agree, pricing for a high end GPU is insane ATM. I paid €750 for a 1080ti 2 years ago, which was top of the line. I'd never put $1.5K on a GPU unless I am super loaded!a

Edit: I am with ED though. Grab a new 3070/AMD RDNA2 equivalent this year and upgrade to Ryzen 4xxx early 2021. You will be below $1500 for gpu+CPU+mobo+ram.

Hopefully, if the new AMD line can compete with NVidia, pricing might drop a bit.

But I agree, pricing for a high end GPU is insane ATM. I paid €750 for a 1080ti 2 years ago, which was top of the line. I'd never put $1.5K on a GPU unless I am super loaded!a

Edit: I am with ED though. Grab a new 3070/AMD RDNA2 equivalent this year and upgrade to Ryzen 4xxx early 2021. You will be below $1500 for gpu+CPU+mobo+ram.

Only fools pay that much for a GPU. I just bought a B stock 2080Ti with warranty straight from the manufacturer for $870 shipped. No reason to pay full price on any computer parts.

No it wont. Nvidia cards have never scaled like that. A 3070 will be like a 2080 or slightly less.

The only reason I say that is because there was a rumoured leak the other day saying the 3070 will have the same shaders as the 2080. Plus a little ipc increase maybe you get the 2080 super level performance but I think the 3070 will be better than a 2080. You have to remember that the 2080 was a really cut down die, way lower than the 2080ti.

The only reason I say that is because there was a rumoured leak the other day saying the 3070 will have the same shaders as the 2080. Plus a little ipc increase maybe you get the 2080 super level performance but I think the 3070 will be better than a 2080. You have to remember that the 2080 was a really cut down die, way lower than the 2080ti.

Seconded.

Only fools pay that much for a GPU. I just bought a B stock 2080Ti with warranty straight from the manufacturer for $870 shipped. No reason to pay full price on any computer parts.

Yes, I am with you on this one! Open box is the way to go ;)

Last edited:
Guys, guys settle down! I was commenting on the upgrade I wanted. I ain't stupid to pay $1500 on a new GPU, geez. The 2080Ti's are still wayy up there price wise, and I'm sure the new 30XX cards are going to exceed that. When I bought my current card is because my pockets weren't deep enough for the 1080Ti which is what I really wanted. The 1070 I have benches and clocks as fast as the 1080Ti. So I got used to it and kept it. I actually lucked out and bought brand spankin' new. Every card I bought was either used or refurbished/open box.

We'll see what happens. I may still upgrade, but if not, my current pc will be my last and I'll retire.

To be fair, all gaming is going up in price. The consoles are rumoured to be $600. Games on the consoles are going up to $70-80 apparently. Well the story is that nba2k21 is going to cost $10 more on the new console because “it costs more to make”. So yeh as gaming has become more popular they want to make more money from it.

The gpu price creep is definitely disconcerting. Just sold off my RTX 2080 Ti Founders and really happy I got most of my money back and a year and a half of usage. So I can't really complain about the price. I got really shafted on previous gen's where my old top of the line cards were worth 25% or less than what I paid for them because newer\better versions kept releasing driving the price down. Thankfully the Ti came out right away and nothing really better came out since. So if your lucky and smart there is always the possibility of revolving upgrades for not as much money, think of it like leasing your gpu heh but if they put out like a RTX 3080 Ti and few months later the 3090 Ti or something comes out you can be in trouble.

I'm undecided though. I like to have the top of the line gpu to same as you. I do need some performance also as right now I'm doing 2560@120hz and waiting on the new hdmi ports to do 4K@120. I don't game like I use to but there are a few big games I'm looking forward to that are going to eat up everything you can give them so I'll see what the line up at launch looks like and how long it sounds like before anything better comes out.

I still have the 1080's, they kick grass very well.
I play the same games on the same screens and I'm happy so, why change?
I have changed A few, little things, I have gone to dual 1Tb nvme drives, just for the bling, I was on multi sata with an nvme drive for boot.
I still run the same cooling system, other than that just nothing.
I don't think I'll need A $1500 card for it anytime soon.
my home office rendering, now that's another story, Titan X (pascal) and A 2060 KO, the KO is A renderers dream card, 2070 rendering for $300 each!!!

I am in the C_D boat. I play only DOS 2, AC VR and a few Oculus games For DOS 2, my 3700U does the job. And for VR, as soon as I settle somewhere (lived in 5 different countries on 2 continents the last 12 months), a think a 3060 or the AMD counter part will do a perfect job. And I might go for a PCIe4 NVMe for the bling, lol!

Back