• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New graphic card for my PC --> GTX960?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't see GTX960 overpriced comparing to AMD cards. Performance is similar while it uses less power, heats up less and usually takes less space. Also there are less issues with drivers etc.

I have GTX960 ITX 2GB from Gigabyte and so far I had no problems to run any game at high or max details at 1080p. Real memory usage is not so high and I wouldn't worry about 2GB cards. Even if it passes that 2GB then it doesn't mean that game won't run at all. It may , or may not slow down a bit.
On the other hand 4GB GTX960 cost not much more so it's better idea.

If game won't run at absolute max details then it doesn't mean you can't lower settings a bit. In most cases games are not losing much at high vs max details.
Most gamers are using medium details and many are playing on consoles with much lower graphics details than on PC. Still most can live with that and don't have to spend $400 on a graphics card for 2-3 more demanding titles per year which usually last 1 weekend and you get bored.
If you decide to play one game for longer ( like online titles ) then simply check what are the minimum requirements to run it at your desired graphics quality.

You guys specifically say dont get 2gb, then use 2gb versions for price comparisons. Pick a side.

Cheapest I've seen the 4gb cards are in the 220-230 range. At that point, you can get an r9 290... if you'd like to continue comparing the merits of the 960 against a 290... well go nuts.

If he's gonna get a 2gb version, then yes he should need to find it on sale, but you guys harped on the 4g version. Now using a 2gb for price comparisons... what are you actually telling him to get?

I'm not going to argue.

Get a 3gb+ card if you can swing it. 2gb,even at 1080p can already be long in the tooth.

Anywho, 4gb 960 is 309$ at newegg, but has some discounts down to 281$, thats the cheapest I've seen it. A 970 is on sale for 385$ at vuugo if you can hack it up to that.

Last edited:
Good catch... I simply overlooked that part. ;)

Anywho, 4gb 960 is 309$ at newegg, but has some discounts down to 281$, thats the cheapest I've seen it.
But the 4GB are $219 on up (NOT including MIR) at newegg.

4GB R9 380 = $219.99 on up at newegg.

I don't believe they made a R9 285 4GB variant so we can't compare that...

So that doesn't change the point Woomack made... but excellent eye on the 2GB/4GB part. :)

if you'd like to continue comparing the merits of the 960 against a 290... well go nuts.
There are points anyone can make... used vs new as the cheapest new 290 is $260 (not counting MIR). There is also the power consumption/heat dissipation of a 250W+ card versus 120W on the 960. But performance wise, no doubt its faster.

EDIT: THis guy is in Canada too and I used, even in this post, newegg.us $ :chair:... let's see if I can get something right here...

GTX 960 4GB = $275.

R9 380 4GB = $290 and faster.

R9 280 (which is a lot slower) $250.

R9 280x/7970 is $315 and is a bit slower.

Those prices are pretty close to me. In the past, there seemed to be a much larger gap I recall, but, it seems, now that I got everything right, LOL, that it is a lot closer and the 960 4GB really isn't a bad deal.

Last edited:
The 280 and 280x aren't slower than a 285. A 280 will essentially trade blows with a 285 but because of the newer architecture of the 285, there are a few games where it will be a clear winner. The same is basically true between a 280x and 380. The OP has already purchased his card, btw, so it's a moot point anyway.

The 280 is slower than a 285 (LINK - extrapolate the info from these 270x results and the 280x results). The r9 380 is a R9 285 rebrand with 'some software tweaks that don't clearly show it has any IPC increases'.

But, I don't want to rehash this again...

... particularly since the guy bought the card, LOL!

EDIT: Or this line from the andand review on the 285 -
At the end of the day it brings a very minor 3-5% performance increase over the R9 280 with virtually no change in price or power consumption.

They are all VERY close though, within several % of each other. ;)

EDIT2: Not sure I was clear, but my 'slower' references were against the 960, not each other... and the 280x IS faster than a 960. My apologies for any misinformation... most of it was right, particularly the pricing......finally... in canada dollars. :rofl:

But I digress... the dude bought the card. :)

Last edited:
Back