• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Graphics Card Or New computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spahinator

Well Im going to have about 150$ around chrismas and I was just curious what you guys thought. Buy a Radeon 9500 pro or a GeForce4ti4200 or Save it for a New computer. My Current Rig is a [email protected] with 512megs of PC133 ram and a GeForce3ti200 @ 230/525. Just wondering what you guys thought

cack01

I would save for a new system. The GF3 is still more than enough for most games, it is probably being held back by your Celeron anyways.
Plus there is no reason to buy a vid card right now, since with NV30 around the cornor, prices of a GF4 will drop and possibly ATI may drop their prices too.

Although Xmas is still a ways away, so a lot can change in the next 1.5 months.

doer

Save it. Your current rig should be able to run almost everything smooth. I'm prolly thinking of upgrading my rig when there are 3,5-5Ghz CHEAP P4s or something around.

BaldHeadedDork

You've got a pretty solid rig. But what kind of speakers and monitor are you running?

If you are using a 17" monitor (or smaller) or an entry-level speaker system, dropping that $150 into a 19" monitor or a good midrange speaker setup would be money well spent.

BHD

SmellyDraws

Registered
BaldHeadedDork said:
You've got a pretty solid rig. But what kind of speakers and monitor are you running?

If you are using a 17" monitor (or smaller) or an entry-level speaker system, dropping that $150 into a 19" monitor or a good midrange speaker setup would be money well spent.

BHD

17in is a good size monitor imo. I would rather have a new system. Save your money and build a new pc.

Peter007

Save your $$$. You're Computer is Fast enough, why buy something NOW when you can wait for DOOM III to comes out before you make your determination????

Here is my "Dianosaur" System....Yes, I really could use an upgrade:

CPU = Celeron 633mhz OC to 950mhz
MB = ABIT BH6 (very very old, but perhaps the BEST MB I've Ever owned)
VIDEO = ATI Radeon LE oc to 195mhz Core/ 195mhz mem