• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GTX980, no signal from DVI-D when Windows 10 loads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satsumomo

Hi all, firstly long time no see, I love to see such old specs on my signature! :p

So I just upgraded from a GTX 970 to my brand new GTX 980. Deleted old drivers, fired her up, started in 800x600 (Using DVI), and once drivers were installed: Black screen.

I plugged in the HDMI and it works fine, but for some reason it refuses to see the monitor through DVI-D. Bootup and BIOS show fine, and like I mentioned, if the card is uninstalled in Windows, it suddenly outputs through DVI-D no problem. Opening the "Multiple displays" screen, the main monitor I want to use with DVI-D is not displayed.

I'm stumped, I don't know what to do, what setting the driver is applying that disables DVI-D. I need to use the DVI-D since my monitor only supports 144Hz with that cable, so I can't use HDMI or display port.

Any help? Really lost here.

ASUS P8P67 Pro
i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz
ASUS Strix GTX 980 (3 display ports, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI)
8GB RAM
Windows 10

Thanks.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Did you set it up through the control panel ?

OP
Satsumomo

Satsumomo

What do you mean by setting it up? Also, do you mean the NV control panel or the regular windows CP?

Right now I have my two monitors plugged in, one in HDMI and the other through DVI. When going to the "Multiple displays" setup, I can't even see the DVI-D monitor as being disconnected. Already tried different cables, and also tried both monitors with DVI, no luck.

Johan45

Is the NVCP set to multiple display mode in 3D settings under multi display/mixed gpu

Johan45

Was that monitor hooked up with the same cable when connected to the 970? I just wonder if the monitor is in analogue mode

OP
Satsumomo

Satsumomo

Yup, worked with no issues on the 970, 144hz and all.

I'm also running the latest BIOS on my motherboard, which seems to have been a solution for some people, but not for me.

OP
Satsumomo

Satsumomo

No, my sig is just really old, I posted the current specs on the top post.

Johan45

Will the Acer work on it's own with the DVI and not have the other monitor plugged in?
I would think if you strip the drivers and re-install with only the Acer on DVI hooked up it might pick it up then?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Oops, my fault!!! (update that signature!)

Does the DVI port work when the card is in another PC?
Does the DVI port work if your other monitor is not plugged in to the HDMI port?
Have you tried an older driver?

OP
Satsumomo

Satsumomo

I did the whole install with the monitor on the DVI port only, my 2nd monitor wasn't plugged in (GTX 970 had two dvi ports, so I used those).

When I reinstalled the drivers, the computer booted up into Windows, I could see everything, then got the "New hardware found" sound, and boom, the screen goes blank.

I have an old C2D machine lying around, I'll see if I can test it there (Really crappy PSU on it though)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Have you tried older drivers or a different one than what you tried to install?

You only need to get it to boot. Its a 165W card... it should be fine for booting, assuming it has 2 6+2 pin PCIe connections anyway.

OP
Satsumomo

Satsumomo

While the computer boots up (It's taking it's sweet time) let me share what you have made me do:

54SxiO5.jpg

Yes, that's an IDE cable. :D Using a molex to PCI-E converter btw (not pictured)

OP
Satsumomo

Satsumomo

It's only for boot, won't be running any games on it, so I assume I should be fine right? The computer didn't have an OS installed, so currently installing one... :/

Last edited: