• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HD for OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ks0

Registered
Hi guys looking for a hard drive to replace my existing main drive, not bothered about having a lot of storage 500GB will be plenty.

Have about three hard drives to choose from, would like to spend no more than £50.

The choices:

Barracuda 7200.11
Barracuda 7200.12
Caviar Black 640GB

Have looked at countless reviews and quite a few of them are saying different things. So any recommendations are welcomed...

Thanks

I'd go for the Caivar Black, but truth to be told the difference is not that big.

500gb Samsung F3 or 640gb WD Black

The Samsung F3 is usually cheaper, runs cooler, and quieter. In regards to speed the F3 has better transfer speeds where as the WD black has better seeks and a longer warranty. Both are great drives and you wont be disappointed either way.

The Samsung has a single 500gb platter and the 640gb WD has two 320gb platters.

Last edited:
I'd go with the black only because the warranty. Disregarding that I'd go with the single platter 7200.12.

Back