• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Heatsink - Temps didnt go down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RingWraith2086

Ok here's the problem. I had the stock heatsink on my Pentium 4 2.4 GHz. It was idling at about 47* celcius, and the case was about 39. Today I got the Thermaltake Polo 735 heatsink. I put it on, and even with fan on full blast, CPU idles at around 47, load is about 63. The case temps are still the same. Is the problem that the case temps are high and it's just blowing warm air over the CPU? Do I just need more case cooling. In about a week I'm either getting 512 more RAM, or 2 80mm fans for intake and a 120mm for top exhaust. I already have 1 80mm side intake and 2 80mm back exhausts. Whats the problem here?

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Take off the side panel and blow air in the case from a desk fan or simular device..Retest your temps. Thats a high case temp :drool:..Have you removed the fan grids from the case yet? Are your wires and cables out of the air paths? What is the rooms temp? :)

clocker2

Yeppers, the problem is definitely your case temps.
Your new HSF is actually doing a respectable job, keeping idle temps only 8 degrees above ambient is nothing to sneeze at.

squirtle632

Have you allowed your thermal paste to set in yet? AS5 needs about 10 thermal full thermal cycles to set. In other words, running a load for a while then shutting down computer for about 1 hr and then full load. Most ppl have this naturally happen when they shut off their computers at night. Some of us, like me , never shut off their computers. Hell, what is an off button?? LOL

squirtle632

Asus is prob reporting a bit low by 5-8°C

Natural air flow is front bottom to upper rear. If I read correctly, you have side intake and rear exhaust. Can you make the rear exhaust larger? If not, take a piece of cardboard, cut it to size of top of case, make hole in cardboard for 120mm fan. Try and seal up all edges of top of case and put cardboard on the case. See if temps drop. If so THEN cut your case. Lot cheaper to replace cardboard then a case top :)

You can try this with the side also and make it a 120mm too and see if it helps.

The only place it is really unfeasible is the front of the case. That is trial and wishful thinking.

www.bleedingedge.com has report on Asus MB temp probs. I think your temps might be a bit off. This is more of a P4 MB problem but some AMD MB's have this problem also.

I have Emailed Asus on 6-24-04 and am STILL waiting for an answer. Guess I am not inportant enough or this is NOT a real concern for them. Guess pumping out MB's is more important............. end rant