• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Heatsink + Tornado Fan!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Well, i had an SI-97. I tried lapping it in the past. i ended up bending the heat-pipes, and it wasn't lapped flat. It would never sit flat on my CPU, causing the PC to Shut-down at times.

i finially got annoyed of it, and ordered ANOTHER SI-97! ( but i got the SI-97A model, as its the only one heatsink factory had ).

Then i went to Newegg, and ordered a Vantec 92mm Tornado.

OH MY GOD!

i did not realize that those tornado fans were this damn loud! its friggin INSANE! i'm probably going to need to get a fan controller for this thing!

But the great thing is, i have a cold-air duct going to my PC. I have an 8" x 8" hole in my wall, that leads outside. There's a block of foam in the hole, with the center cut out, and aluminum foil type dryer ducting going from the hole, to a hole i cut out in the side panel of my PC, directly across from the CPU.

Well, with the new heatsink that is actually FLAT, and doesn't have bent heat-pipes, and this tornado fan, i am running at 16C temps..at MAX LOAD with Boinc running!

suffice to say, i'm UNGODLY happy. Now i just need to controll the speed on this fan, and everything will be just perfect!

though, i'm still amazed that i'm running at 16C at max load!

Now to just drain the blood out of my ears.......

I would try one of THESE. Sure it only puts out half the cfm of the tornado but it is only 35db. Or THIS one that does 68.8CFM @ 43db.

If that is still too much noise then go with a quiet 92x25 fan. with your cold air duct temps should not really be a problem. Or you could mod your duct to inbetween the wall and the HSF and install a good quiet 120mm fan. Then use a quiet 92mm on the HSF. Or, mod the HSF to use a 120mm.

hehehe Tornado's ftw!!! [looks at rank] I remember the days when I was running 8 tornados in my rig at full whack...people said I was crazy, but it was cool cos I couldnt hear what they were saying over the noise! :D

heh, for now i have it volt modded to 7 volts. MUCH better on the ears. Its about the volume my old fan was. which i can live and sleep with it at 7 volts without a single problem.

but MAN, 12 volts was INSANE. normally i could deal with it, but as i sleep about 3 feet away from my pc...it wasn't really that good of an option.

amazingly, even after dropping it down to 7 volts, my temps havn't changed much. its now at 17C on full load. jumps between 16 and 18C. Before, when it was on 12 volts, it jumped between 15 and 17C. So my temps average out to be about a 1C differnce, even with a 5V drop. Not to shabby. But i think i'm maxing out what this heatsink can do. Though, not like its a bad thing :p

Congratulations on the Tornado. It's a good fan at a great price, probably the best value out there for 92mm fans. It took a day or so for me to adjust to the noise of a full speed Tornado, but I'm never looking back now.

Ugh- Tornados... I remember those.. you'd be better off getting one of these Deltas and a decent fan controller like the sunbeam rheobus. 79.81 CFM @ 4000 RPM, 46.0 dBA, and that way you could slow it down when you aren't gaming or encoding or whatnot.

Then there's http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92ff1.html . 71.69 CFM @ 3200 RPM, 42.5 dBA.

It's a bit less in the CFM count but your ears would thank you.

This one is even more powerful than that Tornado (with more air pressure) but it's louder and requires a 23W rheostat just to control it. 142.20 CFM @ 6000 RPM, 62.0 dBA.

Last edited:
16c heh? You sure thats correct? What are your ambient temps? 10c? lol. What are you using to measure those temps?

grumperfish said:
This one[/url] is even more powerful than that Tornado (with more air pressure) but it's louder and requires a 23W rheostat just to control it. 142.20 CFM @ 6000 RPM, 62.0 dBA.

That'd be the best fan available, but the price deters some people (as does the noise, but most who could handle a Tornado would use that as well), so for those looking for a budget fan, it doesn't get any better than a Tornado.

enz660 said:
16c heh? You sure thats correct? What are your ambient temps? 10c? lol. What are you using to measure those temps?

Well, he's running a duct to bring in outside winter air, so 16°C sounds perfectly reasonable for a load temp, assuming around 0°C ambient outside.

enz660 said:

Yes, 16. Motherboard Monitor 5, Everest, and Speedfan all report the same temps.

I have an air-duct, and its snowing outside. Meaning, its at least 0C out there.

my temps are correct :p

zexmarquies01 said:
Yes, 16. Motherboard Monitor 5, Everest, and Speedfan all report the same temps.

I have an air-duct, and its snowing outside. Meaning, its at least 0C out there.

my temps are correct :p
They should, they all get the temperature from the same probe.

I love winter ducts.

Back