• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New House with new Network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeta09

Registered
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted on this forum but I finally have time to post.

We should close on our new home next week and it is prewired with cat 5. Still going to to go dual and looking at the D-Link DI-624, DI-774 or the Netgear FWAG114 dual band wireless/wired routers.

I have 6 comps on a private network with 2 printers. Right now I have a Linky BEFSR41 that has given me good service for nearly 3 years but now it is time to retire it and move into the next gen. I have my IP addresses w/in the network on the Class A range of 10.X.X.X and use a aDSL connection. After the move I might switch over to Cox (at least for a month to see if I like it) but I understand that I may have to spoof the MAC address to actually have my private network.

I am heading the dual band direction because we have a phone that is a 2.4 GHz channel phone so I am thinking that for the comps that will be wireless(probably just 2 in the immediate future; might increase others but not sold on the security features for wireless yet) I will come across interference.

I have seen the practically networked and ZDNet reviews on these products and are now coming to the real reviewers: the overclockers community. Wondering if anyone can chime in on these and give me an opinion on any of these or other top products in the family.

I have so many questions but for now I am curious about which of the routers I have listed folks here have experience with. Any responses requested and let me know if there are any other legitimate reviews out there on the net.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

aggies92

I think that if you hook up your router to the cable box first, there will be no need to spoof the MAC address. If you do, most routers support that feature so that should not be a problem.

As for wireless....I'd go with "a". Range is fine for what you want, 5MHz band, so no interference, and not very widely used so less prying eyes trying to defeat your WEP algorithm.

OP
Z

Zeta09

Registered
I see,

what about any reviews on the routers that I mentioned?

I also see that the FWAG114 is a VPN/Firewall whereas the two D-Links I mentioned are routers. Since the security features are increased with the FWAG114 and it can still provide an internet connection is this a better purchase?

Thanks again.

aggies92

I don't have any personal experience with the routers that you've mentioned but I do know that d-link makes a fine product. I really don't see why you need the VPN unless you are going to be accessing your home network from out of town. A quick glance at the g router you specified indicates that it would indeed meet your needs. Just run it at max encryption and you'll be fine. No need to break the bank on a perceived threat. You just aren't that vulnerable if you change the default router admin username and password, SSID, and run max WEP. Just my $.02.