• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new HTPC: amy good software for Vista x64 out there?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

resoluteK

I've thrown some spare parts together for my first HTPC. I mainly will be using it to play/rip/decode/burn music as it will be hooked up to my Onkyo 605 reciever via optical out. I also will be using it to hook up to my analog cable source to record/watch astros games.

After doing some research, it looks like all good HTPC software is for either XP or Linux. Can anyone recommend something to run with Vista Ultimate x64? I want to run 64-bit vista because I have 4gb ram to use and already have a spare copy coming in from the Microsoft Rewards program.

The specs of my HTPC are:

amd am2 5400+ @3.1ghz w/ TT Big Typhoon
biostar TF560
2x2gb ddr2-800
320gb samsung spinpoint
diamond 2600xt 512mb (hdmi out)
razer AC-1 sound card
PVR-150 (will suit my needs for now)
Asus dvd-r drive
antec 430w psu

I had nothing but issues trying to use digital out with Vista. Ended up going with analog outs. A little research turned up some DRM related BS, but since my stereo translates the digital back to analog anyway I didn't think I would hear the difference (and I don't).

The only devices I know of that will output a bitstream for surround playback are the HDCP video cards with digital outs.

Back