• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New intel 5820k build. Any flaws?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

What I'm considering...

5820k cpu
Asus X99-A motherboard (don't care enough about usb 3.1 to spend the extra $30)
HyperX Savage 16GB (4 x 4GB) ddr4 2400mhz Cas12

I went with low latency 2400mhz ram because I read about complications with higher speeds causing the cpu strap to go up. I just want to use xmp profile and raise the cpu turbo multi without other settings changing. Am I headed in the right direction? All other parts will be re-used. Also, will the thermalright spirit 140 power heatsink interfere with the top pcie slot?

Last edited:
nice, thank you. i did come across that earlier. just looking for maybe one more source to make me feel better but i'm guessing it should be fine.

the main thing i'm getting hung up on is this. when the higher speed ram ups the bclk to 125, doesn't that overclock all of the ports and slots for the storage drives and cards? i'm trying to decide how much a pain it's going to be dealing with higher speed ram vs just sticking with 2400mhz stuff on xmp profile and 100bclk. i googled it a lot and i must had missed the detail i was looking for. i don't want to overclock every bus in the system and cause instability. if the only thing at 125 is the cpu strap and i can adjust for it with a lower ration then that's no big deal.

I have 2666mhz and just set the xmp and its done, doesnt chance the bclk

it's a toss up between cas12-2400mhz set it and forget it or cas15-3000mhz and crossing my fingers that i did enough homework.

EDIT: i think the tie breaker is that the corsair ddr4-3000 is on the verified compatible list for the motherboard and it's on sale. i guess i can always turn it down or just run it at 2133 and trade it in if it doesn't work out. thank you.

Last edited:
I ended up with gskill dr4-3000 because it was part of a newegg bundle. saved me $50 and got a 1tb wd blue hard drive for $1. i don't know how they keep their doors open with deals like this.

I picked up a 4x8 G skill ddr4-3000 15-15-15-35 kit for my x99-a/3.1 and it is working without issue.

My 5820 doesn't like to OC nicely with the 125 strap so i changed it to 1000 and am running the ram at 2800 off the 100 strap without any issues.

i think i'll stop being lazy and overclock the memory first manually with cpu at stock so i can learn the rams true potential. then i'll leave it at it's optimal setting and do the cpu after. i don't really like the idea of weird cpu straps and not having turbo boost. should be fun!

125mhz strap ended up not being a big deal. it uses ratios and doesn't actually touch the buses. it's not quite like my old 920 but not like my 3570k. somewhere in between. the gskill ram was fully compatible with the motherboard and all is well at full 3000mhz xmp profile. the motherboard is pretty nice too. i don't know how it got so many bad reviews on the egg. i ended up at 4375mhz at 1.2v but of course i've only been using it a day so maybe some instability is lurking in there somewhere. so far so good with aida 64, cinibench, handbrake, battlefield 4, and battlefront.

Back