• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New KR7A-133R, FLOPPY "LOCKS UP"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nakman8

Just got my new KR7A from Newegg. Have installed my new 1800+xp and new Samsung DDR memory on the board. Only plugin is AGP video card.
Problem is: can't get the floppy to work. Have tried 3 different floppy drives,two dirrerent cables,differnt boot discs, and three differnt power supplies. Floppy "locks up" and light stays on,with or without a floppy in the drive, when it is accessed.
Am I missing something? Have made sure that FDD controller is
on in BIOS. Have reset CMOS and Fail safe setup in BIOS.

Any help will be appreciated,Thanks.

amaesing

Registered
check the connector on the floppy, u might have to reverse it, try it both ways to make sure, it happened to me, cause i had the floppy connector flipped wrong, and the green light was always on.

OP
N

nakman8

Already tried that

I used a keyed flat cable for the floppy. The light only stays on after it tries to boot to it.
Update: I tried booting to a "bootable" CD-ROM disc that I had used successfully before in other machines. Still had problems.
It's like the machine is limping along trying to boot,but won't.Could it be the new 1800+xp? or the new DDR memory?

thanks

amaesing

Registered
hmmm, could be your drives, or did you go to the bios and set which drives you want as your boot up? Other than that, I have to think it out. Good luck though.

OP
N

nakman8

Yes, I set up the bios to boot to the floppy. Also tried booting to my "bootable" CD-ROM. Was able to get system up and running
using a HD with my old operating system on it. But could only boot in safe mood.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Have you tried it outside of the case? Take all the proper precautions when doing this since booting up a MoBo outside of a case is a little bit on the exciting side. Double check all the cables are on right & make sure you got a good PSU.

OP
N

nakman8

I TRIED THAT

I did power up the board outside the case, in-case something was shorting. I use an anti-static mat, grounded to the outlet, when assembling the HSF(Alpha 8045) and CPUu before installing the board.Tried 3 different PSU's. I just removed the 8045 and the chip die looked fine. Memory counted and registered also.

Still open to ideas before I send the board back to Newegg.

OP
N

nakman8

I may have found my problem!!

I read that the abit KR7A-133R does not support DDR333 memory. That is what I am using. So, could this be the reason that my mobo locks up the floppy??

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Re: I may have found my problem!!

nakman8 said:
I read that the abit KR7A-133R does not support DDR333 memory. That is what I am using. So, could this be the reason that my mobo locks up the floppy??
None of the KT266A officially supports DDR333/PC2700 but that isnt the cause of your problem. When you install the ram it will run at PC2100 speeds until you bump it up. The higher quality PC2700 is actually more desirable;)