• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New laptops shipping with Windows 10 in S mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Can't say if this applies to all brands of new laptops but in the past week I have helped two customers setup new laptops, an HP and Dell, and discovered that by default, Windows 10 is in S mode. If you are not familiar with S mode, it is a "Lite" version of Windows 10 that is less resource hungry but, and this is the critical point, prevents you from installing third party apps. If you try that, it will take you to the Windows store where you have opportunity to download an S "fix" that shifts the OS over to the conventional Home or Pro version.

I ran into that myself on an HP that I bought for a client. I ended up removing s-mode. I found s-mode too limiting. You can have firefox but you can't default it for example. Only edge can be the default browser. Yuck.

I first ran into this last year on a client's netbook and it was much more involved then to get rid of it. Microsoft has made it easier to do now with the app on their store. MS seems to have extended it to it's laptop partners. Kind of irks me as it strikes me as being another attempt by MS to rest control from the consumer in regards to choices. I'm also wondering if S mode prevents only non MS products from being downloaded and installed. So don256us, you were able to download and install Firefox while still in S mode?

They would... no, they actually do say that it provides for a safer more secure computing environment because they control much of it. I didn't like it and I couldn't see my customer liking it either.

Yes, big brother Microsoft will take care of us because they know better what we should want and do than we do.

Update: I am setting up a customer's new laptop today and yes, Windows installed in S mode as I expected. As others have pointed out, you can by pass the need to install using a Microsoft account simply be not connecting to the internet during the installation. That gives you a local account option pre installation so that you don't have to switch that post install.

It's like when HP made toner cartridges with a chip and didn't allow 3rd party to make toner. They claimed it was so that they could ensure print quality. How about you let me deciede whose ink works well?

I first ran into 10 S about 3 years ago. I think on a surface. At the time, you could convert it to 10 pro for no charge with a microsoft store account and if the laptop retailing for more than $799. If it was less, they claimed you would have to pay to switch.

I made sure when ordering to check that it wasn't S after that.

The S-mode on a laptop limits the functionality of the laptop. Why ship a laptop that cannot install extra software on it.
When I brought the laptop that I am writing from currently, I faced the S-mode as well.
Eventually, I got it removed from S-mode with the help of a technician.

Back