• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Machine - Feedback Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vagabond102

Hello,

I'm new to posting to these forums, but I've been reading them for some time. I've spent hours upon hours of reading, and now it's time to post.

I currently have a Lian-Li PC-61 case (I like it a lot so far) and a Corsair 620HX (I LOVE this thing)
I'm running an XP2500 Barton on an ancient A7V8X-X MB and a lame Thermaltake CPU cooler that really is doing a poor job. Also have a 9600XT.

It's time to upgrade. I just can't keep waiting for the next latest and greatest to come out or I'll be waiting forever. The following is what I was thinking:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - 129.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6420 - Retail - 186.00

ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail - 53.99

EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail - 284.99

mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) with EPP Profile Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996535 - Retail - 159.99 (has the Micro chips)

All from Newegg.

The reason for the 6420 instead of 6550 is the multiplier. I wish to hit 3.0 to 3.4GHZ without pumping the ram too hard.

I'm on a limited but somewhat flexible budget.

One of the questions I can't seem to find an answer to is if the Zalman 9500 will have sufficient cooling and if it will fit the MB I chose.

If there are better choices withing a VERY close cost margin, I'm willing to reconsider. If so, I'll like to know why your recommendation would be better then what I've chosen.

My last overclock was an old intel e815 MB with a celly 300a to 450, so I'm way out of the loop but being a pc tech responsible for over 2500 (outdated) machines, I think I can finger things out. :)

Thank you for your feedback! I look forward to being a part of your community.

Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

I would say you have picked some fine pieces of hardware. I would definitely switch out the Zalman for something more robust though, maybe a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme or Tuniq. You can also go with cheaper RAM, but if you wish to go with that RAM you won't be needing the 8x multiplier. :beer:

Junk the 6420, Get a Quad/Exx50

The zalman isn't really a great cooler as stated

You can get cheaper ram which gives some good clocks.

JamesXP said:
Junk the 6420, Get a Quad/Exx50

The zalman isn't really a great cooler as stated

You can get cheaper ram which gives some good clocks.
Hey I already said all that! :p

Haha! Thanks!

The only thing I'm concerned with the Tuniq or ultra 120 is if it will fit into the Lian-Li PC61 case. If it would then that is what I'll go with...as I see almost everyone here does.

Suggestions on cheaper ram? I want to have no problems with my OC to 3+GHZ

If I can save some coin on RAM, I'd be willing to spend the savings on another CPU, though the Q6700 (EDIT! 6600! Sorry!) on Newegg is 317.00 at the moment, that's over $100 difference and I don't think I can suck up that much. :)

Last edited:
Vagabond102 said:
Suggestions on cheaper ram? I want to have no problems with my OC to 3+GHZ

If I can save some coin on RAM, I'd be willing to spend the savings on another CPU, though the Q6700 on Newegg is 317.00 at the moment, that's over $100 difference and I don't think I can suck up that much. :)
I would recommend this crucial ballistix memory, as it should have the micron D9 memory modules which are known for their excellent overclocking capabilities. That will save you some money, but not enough to pay for an extreme cpu upgrade. however, I would really recommend putting that money saved towards a $39 upgrade to a E6750. (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115029)

If the Q6700 was that cheap ($317) anywhere, I think it would be completely sold out :eek:

The Zalman 9700NT and 9700LED are great coolers, much better than the 9500. If you want a green led, get the NT, otherwise the 9700LED is blue. They're relatively quiet and perform well (and they look sweet).

Back