• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mechanical keyboard king?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

I haven't heard much about this keyboard, but it looked really cool and was pretty cheap so I jumped on it.

The G Skill KM780.

I find it superior to the k70 in almost every way. It embodies all the core aspects of the k70, adds to it, and yet remains neutral in the aesthetics. Quality, fit and finish, feature set, back lighting, REAL cherry MX key switches... everything is on par or better with the K70.... for a fraction of the cost.

The KM780 goes on sale quite frequently around the 80$ mark. The k70 is usually around the 120$ mark, but doesn't go on sale often. Saw it on sale for 99.99$ one time, and it sold out almost immediately. I personally paid 85$ for it.

For the money, I cant recommend it high enough. I have a ton of mech keyboards, and this is my favorite so far.

Mjolnir

I use a K70 for work (at work), blue switches, but at home I've used a Leopold FC700R and now use a Cooler Master TKL with Brown switches. The Corsair feels 'cheaper' on the keycaps in general, and my Leopold and CM keyboard are more solid keycap and body wise. I like my Corsair for a daily driver for typing, but probably wouldn't use one at home myself now after using this one.

Gigabytes devastator series combo is also a 'hidden gem' in terms of cheap gaming peripherals for budget systems. I found that very solid when playing around and does the job (I don't own it, but have used/tested it at my old job for RMA purposes). (Not mech, but for the price can't go wrong).

OP
B

bob4933

I use a K70 for work (at work), blue switches, but at home I've used a Leopold FC700R and now use a Cooler Master TKL with Brown switches. The Corsair feels 'cheaper' on the keycaps in general, and my Leopold and CM keyboard are more solid keycap and body wise. I like my Corsair for a daily driver for typing, but probably wouldn't use one at home myself now after using this one.

Gigabytes devastator series combo is also a 'hidden gem' in terms of cheap gaming peripherals for budget systems. I found that very solid when playing around and does the job (I don't own it, but have used/tested it at my old job for RMA purposes). (Not mech, but for the price can't go wrong).

Yeah a lot of people seem to forget there are OTHER options for mech boards. I use a ducky shine at work myself, and have a plethora of random ones at home. The k70 is fine and all, but for 120$ it just doesn't seem "worth it" any more. This g skill one really took me by surprise in its quality and feel. The macro and media functions I find superior as well. The absolute only "gripe" i have with it is the lack of removable cable. THAT would be outstanding.

The leopold seems to be one of those "purist" keyboards, high quality with a focus on purpose not peripherals.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

You mean G Skill? XD.

Duckys are nice, but they never had an exact one that I wanted with everything I wanted when I looked at them.

Leopold was a Filco rebrand type, which was one of the older purist styles yes. Simple, no mess 'it works' type of keyboard. It worked well for me for about 3-4 years but I wanted something fancy and flashy... Plus the keyboard would intermittently have issues when trying to access the bios/it'd lock up all keys would stop working. No idea why. My CM is a worth replacement that I'm happy with.

Agreed the Corsairs shouldn't be so expensive. :\. Not with everything else out there!

OP
B

bob4933

You mean G Skill? XD.

Duckys are nice, but they never had an exact one that I wanted with everything I wanted when I looked at them.

Leopold was a Filco rebrand type, which was one of the older purist styles yes. Simple, no mess 'it works' type of keyboard. It worked well for me for about 3-4 years but I wanted something fancy and flashy... Plus the keyboard would intermittently have issues when trying to access the bios/it'd lock up all keys would stop working. No idea why. My CM is a worth replacement that I'm happy with.

Agreed the Corsairs shouldn't be so expensive. :\. Not with everything else out there!

haha, I keep calling it gigabyte, I have no idea why!!! m( i think because you mentioned the devastator lol)

I dont really care for my ducky. Spent way too much for it.... I mean its nice and all, but... yeah.

FWIW...

g skill.jpg keyboards.jpg

Last edited: