• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New method of securing a heater core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toysrme

Someone asked in another post about how to secure a heater core, so I just thought I'd write up on something I've been wanting to do FOR EVER!!!

I use Bolts, zip ties, normally, but this one takes the cake in strength and reliability.

I've come up with a much better way thouch. Ofcource it harks back to R/C aircraft ;)

Here's what I came up with.

First I take the core like you want it into the front and measure thrice times. Not twice, but thrice.

"And then the LORD did say, first shalt thou pull out the
holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.
Three shall be the number thoushalt count, and the number of
the counting shall be three. Thou shalt not count to four,
neither shalt thou count to two, excepting that thou then
procedest to three. Five is right out. Then, having
counted three, lobbest thou thine Holy Hand Grenade at thine
enemies, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Amen."
"Amen."
Sorry. I've seen Quest for the Holy Grail about 7 times in three days. ;)

Back on subject. After getting the measurements and placing the core right where we want it. Pulled out some fiberglass cloth we use for extreme stregnth in critical places.

First put some 1/16" aircraft ply under the heater core and drill out holes for the bolts. Next break out the fiberglass cloth and proceeded to tie it to the heater core as best upi can. Otherwise It's just going to keep falling off and make a HUGE mess.

It will wind up hugging the entire core like a glove in a great big U shape it fits in...

I mix some 1/2 hour epoxy and start paintingg it into the cloth. Watch the working time with it! You want to be finished in about 5 min and NOT have it running everywhere!

Anywho's. After it dryes drill out the fibeglass and stick 1/4" aircraft ply on top of the fiberglass so that much more contact area would be holding it down, and it wouldn't be prone to cracking.

Bolt heads on bottom, lock washers epoxied on the top 1/4" stock of ply. This will make sure it never comes loose until you want it so. You can use some Lock-tight if ou want, but stay away from the perminant stuff. It'll have pleanty of stregnth without ANY, but if it floats your boats to make it very hard on yourself to get it off... So be it!

I hope this helps someone, as it is a fairly strong, but very nice way of securing those heatercores!

Just to clear up any questions Excelsior might have.

This is securing a core to the case.

Not a shroud to the core. Allthoguh that would work... More involved than I would want, but whatever.

I'm really not understanding you here. Do you have pictures of the process? You're not using fibergless resin, right? Hmm... Have to come back and read it again later.

No, jsut fiberglass cloth, and I ahven't done it yet.

However next PC I do I will. Whever that will be...

Back