• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Microsoft Certification

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

druidelder

I've always felt that most helpdesk support was certifiable.

Seriously though, good link pcgirl. This might help a few people get a foot in the door.

Personally, I'm not sure I like it though. I know it's M$ software, but isn't it bad enough that they do things the M$ way? I see dark days ahead.... Maybe that's just the winter clouds....

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
If the tests are actually somewhat challenging and it isn't ruined by "Study the exams!!!! OMG!!!" type books, it might be a worthwhile test.

With only 2 tests, it's pretty easy and probably inexpensive to get.

It'll help weed out some of the real moronic desktop support people. At the same time, it doesn't require extensive knowledge so it's a great "foot in the door".

I know a few people who would be perfect for that cert.

My only real concern is that it seems to only cover WinXP...there's a good number of organizations still sticking to NT4 and Win9x.

Last edited:

raven

The reason that its probably not on win9x or NT4 is because M$ has stopped support for it.. or atleast the online updates as ive noticed and read about. They are trying to force people to upgrade their stuff, and i bet its only a money making move :mad:

But none the less, im still totaly interested in doing this. It might get me some advantage for job application and stuff.

raven

jimstandard

raven i agree with you i mean look at the MCSE people they have to take like 7 test because their job demands it and the microsoft comes out with some new os like every 4 years or so and then you have to take it all over again buy more books or take more classes then pay for the test again bling bling for microsoft

CrashOveride

I don't think stopping support for 9x and such is as much of a "make people buy new OSs" as you think. The 9x OS is over 4 years old at it latest encarnation - it is OLD, and it sucks. No one should want to use it unless have have a computer thats that old, and it shoul dbe upgraded:p It could be a money move in "we don't wanna keep paying for support on somthing that is old, sucks and isn;'t making us money" but, though I don't like MS either, I don't think it's because they want to force you to upgrade.

jimstandard

crash i think you misunderstood me i was saying that whenever microsoft comes out with a new OS the technicians and admins must be recertified and then they have to buy books classes and pay for the test, or maybe i just misunderstood you

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Well, I know NT4 and Win9x are old, and I know that 2k and XP are much more superior than 9x...however, you'd be VERY surprised how many small business still run 9x or cannot afford to upgrade all their machines to 2k or XP.

I just think on the first iteration of the test the basics of supporting 9x or NT4 should be included. I mean, this is merely for desktop support, so all you need to do is see how the menus are different, how NIC and network configs differ, stuff like that. Wouldn't be hard to include it...

raven

My school for one still uses windows 98 on some of their machines. Even tho we started to upgrade to windows XP on our newer machines, some of the older oens we have still use 98. This is because oru school board is poor and cant afford to upgrade yet. All im asking is for microsoft to give it a few more years before they cut off support.