• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Monitor Recommendations please!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jumpin Jack

Guys (n gals),
I'm looking at a new monitor.. Budget is around $400-500...
Reading some of the other threads they tell me I need a 120Hz monitor cos I love gaming...
I see a lot of posts about LCD, but what about LED Monitors?
HP?
Samsung?
Asus?
others?
helpppp.... :shock:

Dont buy into the hype of you need xx hz to game. Everyones eyes are different and what you can see will be a little diff to what others see. For example, if im playing a game, anything above 45fps i can hardly tell the diff between, but get below that number and gaming becomes uncomfortable. Now if i go and lock the fps to cap at 30fps and my vid card has no problem keeping it there, i can play without issues. Just as when i had a crt, i could not stand any refresh rate below 75hz for any res or else i would get head aches or i could see the damn screen jiggling, where as my mom couldnt stand the higher refresh rates as anything above 60hz appeared blurry to her.

With a regular lcd panel 60hz is the max they can produce, with the exception of the new 120hz panels coming out. Since lcd's are not crts and dont paint the screen so many times a second, the hz of the screen dont really mean squat. Each pixel will stay the color it is supposed to be till it needs to be changed, so the lcd doesnt have to change the color of all the pixels on the screen that often. Even with the 60hz cap, that really says that any frame over 60 will not be displayed simply because the screen cant do it. 120hz screens do have their place and will likely be where we go to next, but the only reason 120hz screens are coming out is because of the super large resolutions that are being pushed and ghosting and blurring occur. Just look at the LCD TV market, after a certain resolution and size you start to see the 120hz screens. So unless you plan on having a massive screen and an even more massive vidcard setup to push the frames required, then you dont need the 120hz stuff.

Matt... As they say, size matters so anything Bigger then I current have (22"). My current monitor off switch is playing up so I'm using this as an excuse to buy new. The 8800 is current and don't seem to be having any issues with it at the moment...

Drago... Thanks for the explaination, that helps a lot. Much appreciated. So 60Hz should be fine if I stay around the 24 - 28, but maybe not if over that size, yes?

As i said, it depends on the resolution you run and the pixel pitch of the screen which is based off of the native res and the size of the screen. My best advice is to go to a store that sells monitors, find the sizes you are interested in, note the specs, and look at the screens being used. Find the pixel pitch and res and refresh rate that works for your eyes. If 60hz isnt good enough at the size screen you want, see if you can find a 120hz one, or get a diff res. I cant really say yay or nay to your question as i dont have your eyes. Only your eyes can give you the answer. Note some stores still use a vga splitter box which makes images look really crappy, if you are polite, sometimes you can get someone to take a monitor you want to look at and put it on a display machine for you so you can play around with the monitor a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestions guys... 26"-28" sounds about right but what about LCD over LED... TV's are going that way so monitor should as well right. So are there any draw backs with LED (apart from price), are there any?

Thanks for the suggestions guys... 26"-28" sounds about right but what about LCD over LED... TV's are going that way so monitor should as well right. So are there any draw backs with LED (apart from price), are there any?

as far as the TVs go I know responce time is crippled (or was when I was looking into it)

and the price is alooooot more. For me it isn't worth it - id ratehr go for a nice IPS panel instead (i.e. Dell U2410)

How much do you care about color reproduction, text quality, response time (seems like this would be highest)..

Given what you have provided thusfar, I'd suggest a 24-26 inch LCD. LED will be too much added cost and not worth it IMO.

Ok so no LED (not yet anyway) and under the current pricing I might still be able to squeeze into a 26 - 28", hmm.
So with LCD, the rules are still the same in looking at;

Response times: B2W (5mS) and G2G (2mS)
Resolutions: 1920 x 1200
Contract Ratio: ??
Brightness: ??

Velozzity, no I'm coming from 22" already (see sig) so definately want to go over 24". From reading around the threads, th efavourite brands seem to be Veiwsonic, Asus, Samsung, and Dell... and Dell seem to be the strongest preferred brand.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some actual leg work and walk the shops a bit... argh!! Will keep you all posted....

Jack,

I remember checking out a website called digital versus recently because i just bought my monitor last week, also you may want to google monitor roundup of the size you want to get some actual reviews with various color accuracy tests included. Good luck on the research.

Update...

Seems I might have a faulty video card... Recently
monitor not switching off, sound card not working , Lan not working, occasional Blue screens...

I've replaced the G/card with temporary one and seems to be all working...

you can get alot of screen for that price :).
im going to buy a new 1920x1200 27" soon, with that budget i think that will be good for you too. :p

i wouldnt worry about 120 hz right now until more monitors come out. you can do 3d gaming with them, but the price is way too high right now. plus unless you are doing 3d, 60 hz is good enough.

Back