• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack from other members for saying this but my personal experience with gigabyte is that their bioses are often half-baked whereas I cannot remember any bios issues with all the Asus boards I have purchased. Well, I did have some USB issues with a Z68 Asus board a few years ago come to think of it.

I like the GIGABYTE GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5. looks good and has good features. Are you looking for a budget overclocking motherboard?

If you are looking for similar design as Gigabyte then MSI has about the same boards but somehow better. I mean gaming line is in similar prices and similar specification. I had Z270 Gaming Carbon which was great, I also liked MSI Z170 boards.
From other brands ASRock is always solid. Anything from ASUS Z270 seems also good. I didn't like their Z170 series but Z270 is clearly improved.
I don't really trust Gigabyte in last years. Simply too many RMA and similar issues on various motherboards ( mainly with dying BIOS and power section ).

Not all will recommend Gigabyte, especially those who stick to extreme overclocking will recommend ASUS or ASRock. Even though some Gigabyte boards are good then personally I don't trust them.

I'm am hoping EVGA will make a big push to get back in as a major motherboard manufacturer. They have been making excellent video cards and PSUs for some time now and they have customer service that is top notch.

I'm am hoping EVGA will make a big push to get back in as a major motherboard manufacturer. They have been making excellent video cards and PSUs for some time now and they have customer service that is top notch.
when did they leave?? They dont have a dozen tiers... just ftw, classy, and itx, but, they there....

Not many choices from EVGA as I peruse NewEgg, at least on the intel side. And none at all that I can see on Egg for AMD. Hardly a major player these days.

Last edited:
Umm... evga doesnt amd... period. Never did, never will.

They have always only had 3-5 mobos...even since x58 days...i just said they had 3 (z270) boards...

Why does an aib need 50 different useless models to be a 'major player'???? Although they dont have a really cheap board the ftw k z270 is a solid board...same with classy for high end..and again, they have itx too. I suppose they are missing matx...

Anyway, they are there with solid boards for intel.

They are not a major player because they don't have much of a market share in the motherboard industry. They don't have a much of a market share because their range of offerings is very limited and priced higher than what a lot of people are willing to pay. Historically, IMOP we used to see more EVGA motherboards in service than we now do. They sell a lot more video cards and PSUs than they do motherboards. Selling motherboards does not seem to be as much of a priority to them as selling video cards and PSUs. I would like to see EVGA start turning out a broader range of motherboard offerings. That's all I was trying to say, ED and I think it's a fair analysis.

I personally find it annoying as hell that the other players have 50 offerings for each chipset... watered down offerings without distinct differences between many of them. EVGA needs to fill out their product stack with 2 more boards... A budget board, and mATX, and its complete. My .02. :)

Part of the reason they have a lack of market share is because frankly, their boards are not that great. When they had more market share, their boards were better than they were now... both features and price. ;)

Last edited:
"when did they leave?? They dont have a dozen tiers... just ftw, classy, and itx, but, they there...." I never said they left.

"Part of the reason they have a lack of market share . . ." so you are agreeing with me now?

"because frankly, their boards are not that great" Then you would agree they are overpriced? And that EVGA is not making a strong effort here? And if they were to do that we might all benefit because otherwise they are a top notch organization?

Oh for petes sake..."to get back in" clearly infers they left...

I consider them a major player... part of the big four. The amount of units they sell or hVe for sale, isnt a consideration for me.

In some aspects, yes, i agree...but its not because they have few choices...

The z270 fullsize? No...not really overpriced. I dont know if its more effort or different efforts they need to make. They are a great oeg, no doubt... but who knows what the outcome would be...if they drop a dozen boards in the market, then no, not helpful. If they improve upon what they have, and make a complete lineup, yes.

Well then, clearly your definition differs dramatically from mine about what it means to be a major player. And I also think that the more choices offered by a company the better. That does not irritate me. I think that is good for the consumer. If you don't like a lot of choices you should move to a third world country.

"Oh for petes sake..."to get back in" clearly infers they left..." You present my remarks out of context. To be faithful to the context you should have not left out "as a major motherboard manufacturer."

Last edited:
Well then, clearly your definition differs dramatically from mine about what it means to be a major player. And I also think that the more choices offered by a company the better. That does not irritate me. I think that is good for the consumer. If you don't like a lot of choices you should move to a third world country.

"Oh for petes sake..."to get back in" clearly infers they left..." You present my remarks out of context. To be faithful to the context you should have not left out "as a major motherboard manufacturer."
I suppose we disagree there, yeah...clearly!

As far as choices... clearly thats a good thing, but only when there isn't massively blurred lines between what is what. I mean seriously, there are dozens upon dozens...watered. down. Lol at third world comment....wtf?
ASUS 17: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ntel Motherboards&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1
Giga 20: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...Gigabyte Z270&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=60
MSI 19: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...tion=MSI Z270&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=60
EVGA 3: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ion=EVGA Z270&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=60

That isn't counting any of the other lower chipsets either. That is simply enthusiast level. The differences between them are so few and far between. I honestly can't fathom a reason to have so many different choices... 10 at the most from each I think would please everyone. You can have SKUs from Extreme overclocking, to Workstation to multiple ATX tiers to mATX and ITX. Hell, most of these are all ATX... blurred lines like this doesn't do anyone much good IMO.

The context just defines what we already know we were talking about and what i responded to which started this discussion...YOU BELIEVE THEY ARE NOT A MAJOR MOBO MFG....so, thanks for clarifying. :)

Trents, I digress. This is getting nowhere and i sense frustration...We'll agree to disagree. :)

Last edited:
Back