• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new nf7-s what proccesor??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigemike

I got nf7-s need help

HI, I have been reading posts for a while, and I am going to start overclocking. I just ordered a abit nf7-s from newegg and I am wondering what I should do for a processor. here is what I have so far,
ram selection
2 - 256 meg pc2700 meg sticks
1 - 512 meg pc2700 stick

cpu
xp1800 about a year old palamino core
xp 1700 about 14 months old

video card I am using is a leadtek ti4600 my vivo
and I have a good 550watt power supply and an antec aeroflow cpu cooler the new one

My real question here is there anything that I can do with my cpu's that I have or should I order a nhew xp1700 or barton 2500 and as far as my ram how important is that I am on a limited budget for the next few weeks, I just bought a new monitor, case and mother board keyboard combo.

I also have a new case that I am building with 5 80mm fans for plenty of cooling. (I hope)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
bigemike

bigemike

what ram would you recomend I was looking as corsair

this stuff
CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 256MB 32MX8 PC-3200C2 With Heat Spreader OEM
Specifications:
Speed 400MHz
Organization 64M x 64
CAS Latency 2-3-3-6-T1
Memory type DDR
Part number: CMX256A-3200C2 Model#: CMX256A-3200C2

two sticks of that at 60 each with shipping from new egg and maybe a new egg 1700, 2400 or barton 2500 what do you think, can I save money on ram if I do an xp1700 setup or is it the same all around.

Is newegg a good place to get the chip and memory?? Also can anyone go over the basics of setting up the bios for overclocking, things I should read up on or problems I might run into. my 1800 on a gigabyte 7vxrp is fast for now but I want to get in the 2000mhz plus range.

OP
bigemike

bigemike

as sad as this sounds this all started becouse I bought a black and silver monitor, then I got a keyboard and mouse to match (logitech cordless mx series brand new and highly reccomended) I got the viewsonic a90f+ ultra bright, huge difference in my gaming. Then I bought a set of logitech z-680's and they sounded pretty good hooked up to my audigy card, but then I heard a set hooked up to the nf7-s with the optical fibre output and wow big difference. So I bought a new case black and silver and I bought the board. So now I figure I will go for speed then I should be set for a year or so. All I wanted was a new screen and it ends up as a computer overhaul. LOL You guys are great and keep the help coming.

xcelerator

the Kingston HyperX has some nice ram, check them out......thinking about getting the pc3500 LL HyperX

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
check in the cyber deals section here mushkin has a good sale going on now, 55$ for a 256 of pc3200 cas2 ram or 95 dollars for a 512 stick. i would suggest that you sell both the palaminos on ebay and use that money to go towards a 1700(you would want to buy this from excaliberpc, yes they are alot more than newegg but you get guarenteed stepping, you want a jiuhb dltc3) or a 2500+ barton which would be fine to buy from newegg.

OP
bigemike

bigemike

got the board in

I got the board up and working, the optical soundstream output through my logitech z-680's are awesome. It is worth the price II paid for the board. I just ordererd the xp2500 from newegg for $96 and some mushkin pc3200 2x256 promo package for 91 to my door. I think that is some impressive speed for the money. Anyone have any pointers for setting up the bios to overclock or some good links would be very helpful. Does this board unlock my xp1800 or what??? I tried but I can't get any overclock sucess out of my xp1800 and 512meg pc2700 ram. Please help.