• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new NFS Shift coming out! what do you think.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
pffft! v8. What a joke! I love the sound of the VTEC engines, they sound alot like the ferrari and lambo v8/v10. Now you cant say no to that.

I can. The only good sounding engine the ferrari had a hand in was the SN95 cobra's 4.6L engine. ;)

ferrari helped make a Cobra engine?
the best sounding Ferrari engine has to be the 355 F1. i remember seeing one accel. from a red light in Queensland. it literally was a motorbike noise, but beefier.

ferrari helped make a Cobra engine?
the best sounding Ferrari engine has to be the 355 F1. i remember seeing one accel. from a red light in Queensland. it literally was a motorbike noise, but beefier.

Looks like I was mistake, I guess it was a supplier to ferrari that made it.

I am not sure what to think, NFS does a good job at arcade racing, but arcade racing is extremely different from racing simulation. It should be interesting to see if they can actually pull off the switch.

Then I say they should go back to NFS 3. Those games defined NFS.

On a side note I am excited about the new Fast and Furious movie coming out.

Last edited:
The good ol NFS days. I haven't played these games in years, and don't plan to with their current trend. Its like any other successful franchise. It gets bought out by the Empire and watered down like cheap booze.

Afer going back and forth between FWD and RWD, I learned that each has its drawbacks. One thing which always stuck in my head was that a FWD car's tire requires friction for acceleration and grip at the same time. There is a trade off with how well you can put power to the ground under certain conditions, especially cornering and straight line acceleration.

Love NFS...especially High Stakes 2, Underground, Underground 2, Most Wanted, and Carbon. Some of the earlier games were also great, but I can't remember all the names. Most Wanted stutters for me, though...even when I tried to re-play it recently on completely different hardware than I used to have. FPS is through the roof, but the image still jumps around...very annoying. I played some Pro-Street, but w/ GRID's release it fell to the way-side as GRID is vastly superior. Undercover is just buggy....not sure what happened there...did EA even test the game before they released it?

I'm hoping this next release will redeem the series somewhat.

My next racing game will probably be Burnout. Loved it on PS2, and want to see how it looks now in 1920x1200!

DIRT 2 is supposed to be out sometime this year as well. I love me some rally racing! DIRT was awesome, and I've loved the entire Colin McRae series. Codemasters makes some killer racing games!

As for RL...I am a Honda fan...Mustang hater. LOL! Muscle cars have their place, but they feel so heavy and clunky to me. The clutch and gearbox need some work IMO. I like agility and nimbleness more than pure HP. I'd love to have an Aerial Atom if that tells you anything...or perhaps a Caparo T1! :burn:

My last car was an '03 S2000. That car was a blast! Absolutely loved it! The transmission begged for you to change the gears. Once I changed the fluid to GM Syncromesh I could drop it down into 1st at 40mph! I got the drifting bug, and was doing it everywhere. One thing I noticed...there are curbs on the street whereas the tracks do not have them. LOL! I hit a few curbs that required minor repairs before finally getting egged into something I should've avoided. My buddy was pushing me to slide through some streets I wasn't very familiar with. I came over a small crest sideways, and when I saw the next turn (I thought it was going right based on what my buddy said...apparently I was supposed to go right onto the side-street, but all I saw was the road I was on turning left) I got scared and tapped the brakes. This totally lightened up the rear end and I ended up sliding sideways into a power pole. I knocked power out for that area, and the transformer was dangling by the power lines directly over the convertible top...and my head! Luckily, nobody was seriously hurt. I had a small gash on my head from the shattered glass, and my leg was a little sore from where the pole came into the side of the car. I had nightmares about that crash for a while, though.

My next car and what I have now is an '03 RSX Type-S. Only thing modified is an Injen Cold Air Intake. I love this car as well, but not nearly as much. I used to always wash my S2000, but w/ the RSX I just let the rain clean it. It's a fast little car, and I love to push it, but I don't drift in it. This was the main reason I got it...to keep me from being tempted! LOL!

Just last year a brand new Mustang GT passed me on the highway...I couldn't help but play! I got behind him, and we we're both accelerating at the exact same rate. He wasn't pulling away, and I wasn't gaining. Then I got ahead due to traffic, and we played the same game w/ the same result. So from 60-120mph we were basically equal...brand new GT vs RSX-S w/ over 100,000 miles. Man I wish I had still had the S2000 then!

I remember reading the Grand Turismo 1 manual and it saying that each tire only has so much grip. That grip can be used to accelerate, decelerate, and/or turn. If you want to use 100% of that grip to turn than 0% is left to accelerate/decelerate. Amazing what you can learn from a PS1 game manual!

Anyway, my opinion is that there is a reason why Australia limits the 1st car purchase, and I think it's very valid. FWD cars are much safer for early drivers, and crazy drivers like me. If you can save it for the track then RWD all the way! AWD is a good compromise, but you lose a lot of fuel efficiency.

The most fun I had with a NFS game was NFS Hot Pursuit for the original Play Station. I played the heck out of that game and loved it. I haven't found a racing game yet that I liked as much as it.

Just last year a brand new Mustang GT passed me on the highway...I couldn't help but play! I got behind him, and we we're both accelerating at the exact same rate. He wasn't pulling away, and I wasn't gaining. Then I got ahead due to traffic, and we played the same game w/ the same result. So from 60-120mph we were basically equal...brand new GT vs RSX-S w/ over 100,000 miles. He wasn't "racing" you. He would have killed you if he was. Man I wish I had still had the S2000 then!

Anyway, my opinion is that there is a reason why Australia limits the 1st car purchase, and I think it's very valid. FWD cars are much safer for early drivers, and crazy drivers like me. If you can save it for the track then RWD all the way! AWD is a good compromise, but you lose a lot of fuel efficiency. Wait, what???? Think you might be a bit confused.

Love NFS...especially High Stakes 2, Underground, Underground 2, Most Wanted, and Carbon. Some of the earlier games were also great, but I can't remember all the names. Most Wanted stutters for me, though...even when I tried to re-play it recently on completely different hardware than I used to have. FPS is through the roof, but the image still jumps around...very annoying. I played some Pro-Street, but w/ GRID's release it fell to the way-side as GRID is vastly superior. Undercover is just buggy....not sure what happened there...did EA even test the game before they released it?

I'm hoping this next release will redeem the series somewhat.

My next racing game will probably be Burnout. Loved it on PS2, and want to see how it looks now in 1920x1200!

DIRT 2 is supposed to be out sometime this year as well. I love me some rally racing! DIRT was awesome, and I've loved the entire Colin McRae series. Codemasters makes some killer racing games!

As for RL...I am a Honda fan...Mustang hater. LOL! Muscle cars have their place, but they feel so heavy and clunky to me. The clutch and gearbox need some work IMO. I like agility and nimbleness more than pure HP. I'd love to have an Aerial Atom if that tells you anything...or perhaps a Caparo T1! :burn:

My last car was an '03 S2000. That car was a blast! Absolutely loved it! The transmission begged for you to change the gears. Once I changed the fluid to GM Syncromesh I could drop it down into 1st at 40mph! I got the drifting bug, and was doing it everywhere. One thing I noticed...there are curbs on the street whereas the tracks do not have them. LOL! I hit a few curbs that required minor repairs before finally getting egged into something I should've avoided. My buddy was pushing me to slide through some streets I wasn't very familiar with. I came over a small crest sideways, and when I saw the next turn (I thought it was going right based on what my buddy said...apparently I was supposed to go right onto the side-street, but all I saw was the road I was on turning left) I got scared and tapped the brakes. This totally lightened up the rear end and I ended up sliding sideways into a power pole. I knocked power out for that area, and the transformer was dangling by the power lines directly over the convertible top...and my head! Luckily, nobody was seriously hurt. I had a small gash on my head from the shattered glass, and my leg was a little sore from where the pole came into the side of the car. I had nightmares about that crash for a while, though.

My next car and what I have now is an '03 RSX Type-S. Only thing modified is an Injen Cold Air Intake. I love this car as well, but not nearly as much. I used to always wash my S2000, but w/ the RSX I just let the rain clean it. It's a fast little car, and I love to push it, but I don't drift in it. This was the main reason I got it...to keep me from being tempted! LOL!

Just last year a brand new Mustang GT passed me on the highway...I couldn't help but play! I got behind him, and we we're both accelerating at the exact same rate. He wasn't pulling away, and I wasn't gaining. Then I got ahead due to traffic, and we played the same game w/ the same result. So from 60-120mph we were basically equal...brand new GT vs RSX-S w/ over 100,000 miles. Man I wish I had still had the S2000 then!

I remember reading the Grand Turismo 1 manual and it saying that each tire only has so much grip. That grip can be used to accelerate, decelerate, and/or turn. If you want to use 100% of that grip to turn than 0% is left to accelerate/decelerate. Amazing what you can learn from a PS1 game manual!

Anyway, my opinion is that there is a reason why Australia limits the 1st car purchase, and I think it's very valid. FWD cars are much safer for early drivers, and crazy drivers like me. If you can save it for the track then RWD all the way! AWD is a good compromise, but you lose a lot of fuel efficiency.

man, this is some good info. glad to know you're a Honda fan :p
i want to first start with a civic...then maybe an integra. i want to end up with an NSX though. those cars are just pure legendary.

wav3form, a GT vs an RSX-S wouldn't be what you described. the RSX would dominate even more if it was a street race. you can't beat the agility of Honda with a GT, or any muscle car in general.

LOLS too true wav3form. Most people who beat older people in better cars shouldn't be that inpressed, Most probabaly would have been killed. I reckon hot pursuit was the best nfs game out.

Hehe, but although you cant beat the agility of a honda, on a freeway the mustang would have murdered it. No way a honda would have kept up in a drag race but on a circut or drift (unlikely to happen) the mustang probably would have been killed.

who said Integra's can't keep up with Mustangs on the freeway? :p

i reckon an Integra Type S (aka RSX-S) can beat a Mustang, depending on the mods done to it.

Just last year a brand new Mustang GT passed me on the highway...I couldn't help but play! I got behind him, and we we're both accelerating at the exact same rate. He wasn't pulling away, and I wasn't gaining. Then I got ahead due to traffic, and we played the same game w/ the same result. So from 60-120mph we were basically equal...brand new GT vs RSX-S w/ over 100,000 miles. He wasn't "racing" you. He would have killed you if he was. Man I wish I had still had the S2000 then!

Anyway, my opinion is that there is a reason why Australia limits the 1st car purchase, and I think it's very valid. FWD cars are much safer for early drivers, and crazy drivers like me. If you can save it for the track then RWD all the way! AWD is a good compromise, but you lose a lot of fuel efficiency. Wait, what???? Think you might be a bit confused.

You weren't there. How would you know? So, he was holding back as he accelerated to 120mph? That makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

How am I confused? Please explain.

LOLS too true wav3form. Most people who beat older people in better cars shouldn't be that inpressed, Most probabaly would have been killed. I reckon hot pursuit was the best nfs game out.

He was the young guy, and the one that blew by me at first. I caught up, and we had some fun. He looked to be 18-20yrs old to me. I'm 30.

'Better' car is your opinion. I'd take my used car over a brand new GT any day.

Hehe, but although you cant beat the agility of a honda, on a freeway the mustang would have murdered it. No way a honda would have kept up in a drag race but on a circut or drift (unlikely to happen) the mustang probably would have been killed.

From a stand-still, yes, he would have killed me just b/c he's RWD and can hook-up for launch. From 60mph up that doesn't matter, and we were dead even. I'm speaking from experience. Where are you pulling your info from?

You weren't there. How would you know? So, he was holding back as he accelerated to 120mph? That makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

How am I confused? Please explain.

He was the young guy, and the one that blew by me at first. I caught up, and we had some fun. He looked to be 18-20yrs old to me. I'm 30.

'Better' car is your opinion. I'd take my used car over a brand new GT any day.

From a stand-still, yes, he would have killed me just b/c he's RWD and can hook-up for launch. From 60mph up that doesn't matter, and we were dead even. I'm speaking from experience. Where are you pulling your info from?

I agree with jason, even though I love mustangs, a stang doesn't do 120 easily, and he had to have the pedal to the floor to hit it. I'veh it 130, but it was almost 10 seconds from 120 to 130. You really have to floor it to hit that speed.

That being said, the mustang would beat the rsx from a launch. But from a roll anything's possible.

I agree with jason, even though I love mustangs, a stang doesn't do 120 easily, and he had to have the pedal to the floor to hit it. I'veh it 130, but it was almost 10 seconds from 120 to 130. You really have to floor it to hit that speed.

That being said, the mustang would beat the rsx from a launch. But from a roll anything's possible.

I don't buy this at all. A mustang GT not being able to hit 120 fairly easily? I can hit 120 in my Golf GTI VR6 like it's nothing. A mustang with 300 some horsepower can definitely hit 120.

I don't buy this at all. A mustang GT not being able to hit 120 fairly easily? I can hit 120 in my Golf GTI VR6 like it's nothing. A mustang with 300 some horsepower can definitely hit 120.

So what? I don't buy your logic at all either. The average mustang has a 5 speed gearbox, and on top of that, stock power output limits the car to maybe 140, but that's pushing it. Mine had a top speed due to power/aero of 137. 120 was really pushing it.

A mustang is a powerful car, and has a good aftermarket, but it's not powerful enough to make 120mph easy.

got to remember Integra's are the fastest (stock) FWD cars in the world. so don't underestimate them ;)

it's more about the power/weight ratio more than which car has the more power.
the Mustang would be 2-300kg heavier for sure.

kind of back to topic - i can't wait for Fast and Furious 4 to come out. i really like the WRX STi they use. Veilside made a wide body kit especially for the movie, as there currently isn't a wide body kit for the 08 STi. (please correct me if i'm wrong).
does anybody know when it's coming out?

got to remember Integra's are the fastest (stock) FWD cars in the world. so don't underestimate them ;)

it's more about the power/weight ratio more than which car has the more power.
the Mustang would be 2-300kg heavier for sure.

kind of back to topic - i can't wait for Fast and Furious 4 to come out. i really like the WRX STi they use. Veilside made a wide body kit especially for the movie, as there currently isn't a wide body kit for the 08 STi. (please correct me if i'm wrong).
does anybody know when it's coming out?

A lot of people forget the affect of transmission gearing. As far as acceleration goes, a mustang only has 4 gears, and only about 6300RPM stock to work with.

Transmissions used in Ford Mustang GT is the TR3650, from 2002 1/2 onward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremec_TR-3650_transmission

As stated on wikipedia, the gear rations are as follows:

• 1st: 3.380:1
  • 2nd: 2.000:1
  • 3rd: 1.320:1
  • 4th: 1.000:1
  • 5th: 0.620:1 (used on 01-04 with 3.27:1 final drive)
  • Rev: 3.380:1
I am not sure of the math, but even in 4th, you're only going to get about 130, and the car s tops accelerating becuase there just isn't anymore power to get it going faster than the car's aero and weight will allow.

I don't know anything about hondas or vw's, but I'm sure their transmissions and rev limits are a lot better for higher speed travel than the mustang. the mustang was designed for quick acceleration and was only meant to make records in the 1/4 mile times, not the track or top speed scene. They do well enough in those scenes, but there are cars that are better, granted for a lot of coin.

As for Fast & Furious 4, I'm sure I'll end up seeing it, just because it goes back to Paul Walker and Vin Diesel, don't get me wrong, they're terrible when it comes to facts but they are fun to watch and some of the cars are really nice. The RX7 from F&F tokyo drift was beautiful. *drool*

Back