• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new oc'er looking for mobo advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cricket

Registered
I'm building a new system, which will be my first venture into overclocking. I don't need the fastest system ever, just want to have fun tinkering. Right now I'm looking at getting the XP1700 from newegg for $43.

2 questions:

Is that a good chip choice or should I go with the 2100?

Between Epox/Abit/Asus, what board is going to be best for a newbie?

cricket said:
I'm building a new system, which will be my first venture into overclocking. I don't need the fastest system ever, just want to have fun tinkering. Right now I'm looking at getting the XP1700 from newegg for $43.

2 questions:

Is that a good chip choice or should I go with the 2100?

Between Epox/Abit/Asus, what board is going to be best for a newbie?

Noob or no Noob...get the ABIT NF7 v2.0 or NF7-S v2.0. Overclocks great and is easy too.

Hammer

I would suggest ordering your chip from www.excaliberpc.com. They are a little more expensive but they guarantee that they will ship you an exact stepping date/code. I would look for the DLT3C JIUHB0310XPMW if I were you. You can also pick up the Abit NF7-S from excaliberpc, with a BIOS recovery kit for $120, which is a steal considering it is the best board out there IMHO. :D Good luck, and tell us what you decide to get.

Cricket, you sound like you're in the same boat I am.

I am also getting ready to build my first oc'ing rig. Here's what I chose to start with (just ordered last Saturday).

Abit NF7 Rev 2.0 Motherboard
I chose this over the much heralded NF7-S because of a couple reasons. 1) I don't care about sound quality, and 2) SATA doesn't seem to be up to par yet, so i'll stick with the old stuff. NF7 is also about $20 cheaper than it's -S cousin.

AMD XP1700 DLT3C 0310 XPMW
For a modest premium to KNOW what you're getting is a good choice in my book and for the most part overclockers to around a 2.2Ghz average

SLK-900u Heatsink
It's big, it cools, nuff said.

Corsair XMS PC3500 512MB
I splurged here and went for big. I'm hoping this RAM will last me a while...and the wife said I can pick up a 2nd stick next paycheck. It will be the first time ever that i've had more than 512 in one of my machines.

Now I just can't wait for it to get here.

Thanks for the input, still a little more time before I'm buying. Definitely willing to pay extra at excaliber, thay have a $10 discount on cpu/mobo so that knocks of shipping. I'm going to go with Abra_Volta on the sound issue and save some bucks getting a rev2 NF-7.

Back