• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New OCer on i5, is it too hot??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vincentmoy

Registered
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I'm fairly new to OC too. I just got an i5 system built and I tried to OC it to 3.675Ghz (21*175), vcore was about 1.26. Idle @ low 40s, under load (Prime 95 Large FFT) shoot up to high 70s

Now I'm doing 3.4Ghz (20*170), vcore 1.18. Idle about same, under load (same) it goes down to low 70s.

Is it too hot?

IMG_0904-1.jpg

^
Running 3.6Ghz @ vcore 1.26

IMG_0906.jpg

^
Running 3.4Ghz @ vcore 1.18

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
I wouldn't call it TOO hot, some people probably would. I wouldn't run it much hotter than that though, not past the 70s. What kind of cooling do you have? Maybe you could lower those temps a little with a remount of your heatsink / waterblock.

OP
V

vincentmoy

Registered
I wouldn't call it TOO hot, some people probably would. I wouldn't run it much hotter than that though, not past the 70s. What kind of cooling do you have? Maybe you could lower those temps a little with a remount of your heatsink / waterblock.

I tried that many times already. I got a Bestbuy brand Rocketfish Universal CPU Cooler.

dgb303

Yeah man I'd look into getting a better cooler, and possibly improving case circulation. 70's aren't necessarily too hot but those voltages shouldn't be yielding those temperatures.

OP
V

vincentmoy

Registered
OK... so I put in the stock just to see what it will look like, the idle temp @ 3.4 shot right up to the 50 :shrug: Then I tried to put it back to stock clock and volt, except I didn't put the energy saver things back on (C1E, speedspet, etc.) and STILL the idle temp with stock fan is around high 40s, low 50s

So I am wondering if I get a better cooler than the rocketfish I got will actually help. As far as I know the rocketfish got some pretty good reviews. and it DID help drop about 10C on my CPU. :shrug:

SuperDave1685

Welcome to OCF :D

The stock Intel cooler is crap. Plain and simple. The Rocketfish isn't much better to be honest. I wouldn't call the 70's *too* hot, but I wouldn't push it much further beyond that. I would invest in a Thermalright Ultra Extreme or a Megahelm. Those will give you the best results. Le tus know how it goes!

-Dave

OP
V

vincentmoy

Registered
So I just ordered an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 from ebay. You think it'll be an improvement over the rocketfish?

Krogen

It will be about the same. Maybe a few degrees cooler... With a maxed out fan.

I had it with a Q6600 and wasn't happy at all. For overclocking a dual core cpu it's fine, but for a quad core it's no good.

Trap05

It won't fit so its a moot point unless your board also has Skt 775 mounting holes

Last edited:

Krogen

It won't fit so its a moot point unless your board also has Skt 775 mounting holes

True, forgot about that part.

My HR-01+ only works with 1156 because Thermalright released a compatible bracket for it. But AC 7 Pro has a push-pin design so that's a no-go.

gwar2288

Oh, I thought the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 is good with 1156

Yes, it is. I think they are talking about the Revision 1 or the Rocketfish or something else. Don't worry, The ACF7 Pro Rev2 is good :p

And my I5 never goes above 65*c, but my Cooling is far better than stock intel :comp:

Trap05

The rev 2 is different....you didn't mention rev 2. From what I hear the mounting system sucks and performance is OK at best but it is compatible

Blazing fire

So I just ordered an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 from ebay. You think it'll be an improvement over the rocketfish?

Why don't you buy one of the better HS from the start? You're wasting money by buying every HS in the market! :p

You remind me of what Thom Hogan (well regarded photographer) said here.