• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Overclocker - Help with Q6600 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaliceX

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the forums, and new to overclocking. I recently put together a new pc with a Q6600 CPU and I have heard they are easy to overclock. I was going off some advice from a fellow over at guru3d and attempted to OC but ended up not being able to get windows to boot. I ended up resetting my CMOS and now everything is fine. I'm wondering if anyone can help me or give me a guide to how to go about it with my hardware setup.

I have read the guide everyone posts about OC'in, but don't understand everything 100%.

I'm looking to get a stable overclock, doesn't have to be anything crazy, I hear 3.2 is attainable fairly simply.

My System specs are:

Intel Q2C Q6600 2.4 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7 CPU Fan & Heatsink
e-VGA Nforce 650i Ultra mobo.
4GB OCZ Plat. DDR2-800
BFG 650w Ultra PSU
Windows Vista x64

How I went about my last over-clock:

1. Disabled Speedstep
2. Disabled Intel CE1
3. Unlinked Memory Timings
4. Set FSB to 1600 QDR
5. Set CPU Core to 1.5V
6. Set Multiplier to 9x

System Booted fine to Post, then wouldn't load windows.
Turned off system.
Turned system on and it would shut off right away.
Reset CMOS.
System Booted normally.

I have a feeling it has something to do with memory timings, I never touched them at all and I've heard I would need to change them w/ the FSB change.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to being a member on these forums!

Last edited:
:welcome: to the forums..

First, never up the voltage unless its absolutely necessary.

Second, OC in small increments. The default FSB for that chip is 266. Go in increments of 10 or 20. Change only the FSB when you start. Try loading into windows at 280, run some tests like Orthos or Prime. Let it run for at least 5 minutes then set the FSB to 300 and run tests again. When you get to a point that windows will not load or the tests fail, up the voltage a small amount. 1.5v is A LOT, especially when you do not have good cooling.

Ocing is about going slow to attain a stable overclock.

:welcome: to the forums..

First, never up the voltage unless its absolutely necessary.

Second, OC in small increments. The default FSB for that chip is 266. Go in increments of 10 or 20. Change only the FSB when you start. Try loading into windows at 280, run some tests like Orthos or Prime. Let it run for at least 5 minutes then set the FSB to 300 and run tests again. When you get to a point that windows will not load or the tests fail, up the voltage a small amount. 1.5v is A LOT, especially when you do not have good cooling.

Ocing is about going slow to attain a stable overclock.

So what is the Setting for my FSB I should be using in QSD or w/e. And also, doesn't memory timings have an effect on windows booting, if the memory is running to fast/slow for the new bios.

So what is the Setting for my FSB I should be using in QSD or w/e. And also, doesn't memory timings have an effect on windows booting, if the memory is running to fast/slow for the new bios.

Not sure since all bioses have different settings and name them differently. Someone who has your board would have a better answer. You shouldnt need to touch the memory timings. The only time you may need to loosen them is if you are going for a huge OC. Generally automatic settings are fine. Once you have a stable OC, you can try lowering the timings for a bit more speed.

One thing about the memory you do need to look at is the memory to fsb ratio. You may need to use a dividor for the memory to more closely match its rated speed.

I'm looking to get a stable overclock, doesn't have to be anything crazy, I hear 3.2 is attainable fairly simply.

How I went about my last over-clock:

1. Disabled Speedstep
2. Disabled Intel CE1
3. Unlinked Memory Timings
4. Set FSB to 1600 QDR
5. Set CPU Core to 1.5V
6. Set Multiplier to 9x

System Booted fine to Post, then wouldn't load windows. Turned off system. Turned system on and it would shut off right away. Reset CMOS. System Booted normally.
If you're only looking for 3.2GHz... leave the FSB at 1600 QDR, and set the RAM ratio to 1:1 (333/667 strap). Drop both the multiplier to 8, and the Vcore (CPU Core Voltage) to either AUTO or 1.3V. Your Vcore on AUTO should match your chip's VID (which you can read in Core Temp). Set your primary RAM timings and Vdimm to what OCZ spec's them at (probably 5-5-5-15-2T and 2.1V), leaving all other RAM sub-timings on AUTO for the time being. Also leave all other voltages like MCH (NB Voltage), CPU VTT, CPU PLL, etc. on AUTO. Run Memtest86+ first before trying to boot into Windows... any errors can be caused by insufficient or excessive Vcore, Vdimm, incorrect timings, etc.

1.3 volts is not going to be enough to get the Q6600 to 3.2 Ghz with the 650i. If the VID is 1.3 then it requires 1.3 volts to run at stock speeds. Start with a lower FSB such as 1300 and multi at 9 to set you up at 2.925 Ghz for starters, leave all the voltages on auto and see if you can get into Windows, let us know

Some Q6600's can do 3.2 with 1.3 volts and others not, rather start lower and work your way up.

We'll my PSU turned out to be buggers, might have messed up my OC, had problems w/ it initially when I built the system. I put in an new Antec TruePower 650w.

Is there any way I can safely get my Q6600 to 3.2 w/ my 650i Mobo?

Is there any way I can safely get my Q6600 to 3.2 w/ my 650i Mobo?
CGR, Brollocks, and myself already gave you suggestions as to what to try for a 3.2GHz clock. So instead of again asking how to get your quad to 3.2, post exactly what you've tried, post a template of all your current BIOS settings (primarily voltages, RAM timings, and strap setting)... and note the results of changing the BIOS settings we suggested (if indeed you changed any of them.)

Back