• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Pascal cards with CPU question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IRiSH_SpRinG

If I want to run a 4k setup with the upcoming Pascal cards, am I going to need a better CPU? Should I just overhaul my whole system and build a new one or can my current CPU maximize the new Pascal cards? Thanks :)

CPU - Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.2GHz
Motherboard - MSI Big Bang-XPower II LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
GPU - GeForce GTX 690

Your CPU should be fine. Worst case... overclock it. That is why you bought a K CPU and an expensive overclocking motherboard (right?). :)

EDIT: I deleted the duplicate thread. One thread per subject (gets confusing with suggestions in both threads, etc).

Last edited:
Your CPU should be fine. Worst case... overclock it. That is why you bought a K CPU and an expensive overclocking motherboard (right?). :)

EDIT: I deleted the duplicate thread. One thread per subject (gets confusing with suggestions in both threads, etc).

Okay thanks, it should be fine to regularly overclock it? I just want to make sure I max out the GPU and don't want it limited with an older CPU. Thanks for deleting the other thread and helping me out. I'm new here :)

Welcome!!! :)

Yep... its fine to overclock it 24/7. The vast majority of us here do so. If you need some help on that subject, create a thread in the Intel CPU section and we can assist! :)

I would try overclocking to 4.2-4.5GHz, you will be just fine with Pascal, DirectX12 will help out with more cores when games a optimized for it.

Hello,

I also have the core i73930K@ 4.2 ghz. Now I have 2 gtx 780's in sli. I play games on a 27 inch full hd monitor (1920x1080). This screen will be updated for a ultra hd (or 4K) screen in the future. I would like to replace the 780's for a pascal gpu (gtx 1080?). I know that a single gtx 1080 (pascal) wouldn't bottleneck the cpu. Buth would 2 gtx 1080's in sli bottleneck the cpu if I play on a full hd resolution? Sorry for the bad English (I'm new and from Belgium) :). greetz

Last edited:
Pretty certain at 4K if anything it'll be GPU intensive so even with SLI the CPU should be fine. I doubt you will need to SLI but we have to wait and see.
Welcome to OCF steven130690

Pretty certain at 4K if anything it'll be GPU intensive so even with SLI the CPU should be fine. I doubt you will need to SLI but we have to wait and see.
Welcome to OCF steven130690

Ah ok. It's because now I know that the 2 780's don't have a bottleneck @ 1920x1080. And I would like too have sli again with the 1080's (if they are not expensive over the top). I will stay with the full hd too the end of the year I think. But normally my cpu will not bottleneck the 2 x 1080's@ full hd. (because I can see that my 780's are usefull if I play games like bf4)?

Any high end cards in SLI/CFx can use as much CPU power as they can get, particularly at the meager resolution of 1080p (why oh why 2 780s at that res?!!!).

People seem to think that because my CPU/GPU is/is not using 100% its a bottleneck/or not. I prefer to think of it as a glass ceiling. Overclock your CPU and watch your FPS increase at that resolution....

That said, as the resolution increases, the CPU does matter less, but you are still pushing through a ton of data.

Any high end cards in SLI/CFx can use as much CPU power as they can get, particularly at the meager resolution of 1080p (why oh why 2 780s at that res?!!!).

People seem to think that because my CPU/GPU is/is not using 100% its a bottleneck/or not. I prefer to think of it as a glass ceiling. Overclock your CPU and watch your FPS increase at that resolution....

That said, as the resolution increases, the CPU does matter less, but you are still pushing through a ton of data.

I use 2 780's because I have tested it. If I use them in sli I have much higher fps in games like metro and bf4. So they have there use @ 1920x1080. That's why I was thinking of using 2 pascal gpu's in sli @ 1920x1080 resolution. In october there will be bf5, that's why I was thinking if my i7 3930K @ 4.2 ghz would be enough for the power of 2 high end gpu's of the next generation.

ED can you use Nvidia's DSR with SLI?

I have no idea, I do not run SLI for a daily driver (have for benching, but you would never use that), but I would guess yes.

EDIT: Maybe not natively, but there is a workaround... I googled and below was my first hit -
I have found a workaround to get DSR+SLI to work on GSYNC monitors however you cannot use GSYNC+DSR+SLI. The issue was always that even when disabling GSYNC you could not enable DSR without disabling SLI.

Basically you have to enable Stereoscopic 3D in NVIDIA control panel and if you don't have an emitter/glasses to go through the setup process to turn it on then when the setup is running, kill the process from task manager and 3D will remain enabled. This FORCES GSYNC to turn off completely and if you lower your refresh rate to around 85hz (play around with it) then DSR will become available while on SLI.

This worked great for me - I was really upset when I wasn't able to use SLI+DSR because on my previous BenQ 144hz 1440p monitor I was running GTA @ 5k DSR and now it's the only way I wanted to play it (which obviously wasn't possible if I had to disable my SLI 980s to get it to work).

Back